Answered

Sonos Era

• 24 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

We have a pair of sonos speakers in the lounge paired in stereo, One & One SL, voice controlled by an Amazon Echo Dot, did try with the built in mic on the Sonos One but it didnt work that well, works great with the Echo Dot. I have just looked at buying another pair the same to use in another room and was dissapointed to see Sonos no longer sell them, i have looked everywere for some but just cant fine any for sale. There are a lot on Ebay but i am reluctant to buy from Ebay, past issues with purchases. The Era seems my only option, they are a bit pricey though, can they be paired in stereo, i see they have a in line connection, could i connect a compact disc player to them and play music in Stereo, i have a LOT of cds and being able to play them again on a decent speaker would be a bonus. i keep looking on Sonos Refurbished just in case they put any One’s or SL’s for sale. Any help or advise appreciated

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 March 2024, 18:46

View original

6 replies

You may want to look at local retailers, they may still have the Sonos One or One SLs in stock, as it has not been a lot of time since Sonos stopped manufacturing them. And the fact that Sonos will continue to support them helps. 

The Era 100 is, however, the equivalent speaker, with some updates. They just can’t be stereo paired with a Sonos One. If it were me, and I didn’t need to stereo pair (or surround setup) with an older device, I’d get the Era 100. I think adding the line in, amongst other improvements, is a huge step forward. 

And you can always group Sonos rooms that are running the same operating system (S1 or S2), no matter which type of speaker is in each room. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I have tried a lot of retailers with no luck. I’m going to see if I can get a demo, it may have to wait till I can get to a  dealer, only place that stocks them here is Curry’s, a shop I definitely avoid. There is a Richersounds in Exeter I’ll  probably go there as I have always found Richersounds very helpful.

Heh. You must be in the UK. I usually suggest Best Buy or Fry’s, here in the states. Don’t forget online retailers like Amazon, too.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I’ve tried the Sonos stockist near me and quite a few on line and I cannot find any who still have the Sonos One or OneSL in stock. I did manage to look at a Sonos Era 100, they did demo it, unfortunately it was in a very noisy  busy store, and the salesman’s knowledge on them was Zero. I will have to buy a pair soon before the special price ends. I will use them with our Amazon Music app, but I need to know can I connect a stand alone Hi Fi CD player to them, I have a very large CD collection which I want to use, ripping them off to MP3 or Flac  is not an option. 

Yep, when the manufacturing of them stops, they become ‘thin on the ground’. Sometimes Sonos does a refurbished sale, you may want to check there, along with Amazon. 

But the Era 100 is the replacement speaker for the Sonos One in the Sonos lineup, and is, in my opinion, an upgrade.