Answered

Sonos Connection

• 28 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi All

Im looking at getting the new Sonos Era 100 and im new to all of this.

I will set it up using my phone but my question is can it work from a set devise like a firestick, android box etc so when im out the Wife and the kids can still ask Alexa to play certain things.

What’s the best way that i can make it housefamily friendly.

Like i said im new to this and looking at getting the house eventually Sonos throughout.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 28 March 2023, 18:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The Era 100 doesn’t connect to your TV if that is what you’re asking.  However, you can setup the speaker with the Alexa voice assistant (and Sonos voice control) so your family can speak to it directly, if using the Sonos app is too much to ask of them.

Hi @melvimbe 

No, ive not explained it very well, like i said i know nothing when it comes to smart gadgets.

I presume when you set up the speaker on your internet, using the sonos app and link your Spotify account, Amazon etc etc in the app and its on MY Phone, when i leave the house and my Wife or Daughter say Alexa play Thunderstruck AC/DC (not that they would choose that song haha) would it work as my phone might be in another town for an example? Or are my details saved in the speaker so it doesn't matter?

If not i didn't know if i put the sonos app on a firestick (side load phone version) in the house that it would pick my Sonos app from there that has everything like spotify linked and then it works if im in the house or not? OR would i just need to put it on all our phones under my Sonos account and link everything to them.

Im a complete noob and dont know yet how these work.

Thanks

Hi @melvimbe 

No, ive not explained it very well, like i said i know nothing when it comes to smart gadgets.

I presume when you set up the speaker on your internet, using the sonos app and link your Spotify account, Amazon etc etc in the app and its on MY Phone, when i leave the house and my Wife or Daughter say Alexa play Thunderstruck AC/DC (not that they would choose that song haha) would it work as my phone might be in another town for an example? Or are my details saved in the speaker so it doesn't matter?

The details are saved on the speaker, you’re speakers does all the work.  Voice control doesn’t use your phone at all.  The app is essentially just a remote control.  Your family members can actually use the Sonos app on their own phones/tablets and control the system you setup with your phone.

If not i didn't know if i put the sonos app on a firestick (side load phone version) in the house that it would pick my Sonos app from there that has everything like spotify linked and then it works if im in the house or not? OR would i just need to put it on all our phones under my Sonos account and link everything to them.

I’ve never heard of anyone side loading the Sonos app to a firestick, and doubtful that would work.  But certainly not necessary.  You can download the Sonos app to any phone, and the app will find the system you setup over WiFi.  You don’t need to provide an account or password to play streaming music for streaming accounts you’ve already setup on the speakers.

Im a complete noob and dont know yet how these work.

Thanks

Sonos actually expects people to set this up without knowing what they’re doing.  It’ll be pretty easy and intuitive.

Thanks @melvimbe , thats answered all i need know