Skip to main content

While on vacation with a Roam and mobile app will i have access to my music library without downloading music to my phone?

Where is your music library held, and what type of mobile connection will you be using whilst on vacation?

Where is your music library currently stored?

When away from your home internet service, the Roam becomes a bluetooth speaker, so you’d be streaming content from the streaming company’s player on your phone. Unless of course, you’re able to connect the Roam to a local LAN, in which case you could continue to use your phone as a controller. 

I guess a better question is do i need to bring my laptop wich is where my library is to listen to my music in my room and anywhere there is Wifi?

Yes you would need your library.  The Sonos app is just a remote control for the Sonos system and doesn’t even store the location of the files, let alone the files themselves.

Having brought your laptop, it is likely to be easiest just to Bluetooth your music from your laptop and not use WiFi.  Or your phone.

Thank you guys for the info

As above your choices are:-

1. Take your Laptop with the music files, and use the laptop Bluetooth to stream to your phone
  2. Upload your Music to your phone and stream to the Roam
  3. Take a cheap old amazon fire tablet or any old android tablet that takes an SD card and duplicate your library on that(I use this option).

I have a load of FLAC files and iTunes does not convert these so they don’t make it onto my iPhone (unless I am missing a trick).  Using the Amazon Fire tablet has the advantage of not interrupting the music for when calls and notifications happen.  There is a  £50 Fire table that takes SD cards and theses go for less when Amazon has promotions.  

Thank you