Skip to main content

Hi 

Like everyone else I am spending more time at home. Currently I have two play one speakers in the kitchen in stereo. I am pleased! However - the kitchen is next to the garden and I am contemplating getting a Sonos move. It makes sense to have the move in the kitchen next to the garden. 

While the stereo separation is pleasant my main ‘want’ is room filling sound for the kitchen. I’ll move the Ones to my office and the play 5 to my bedroom. And then have one move in the kitchen. 

So - how good and how much oomph will I get out of one move vs two play one speakers?

Or I could just get another play 5 and ‘crank it’ it in the kitchen if I want to listen outside. 

Thank you!  

I think you will be very happy with the Move. I do have Ones, Play:5, Play:3 and PlayBar. The Move is powerful, has good bass and does well outside on my terrace!

@britishwonderings 

It appears you have two opposing needs/wants...Stereo Separation and Volume.

One Move will give you good volume and versatility. However, you will lose stereo separation that you have with the Play:1’s

My recommendation would be to keep your current setup and just purchase the Move for the garden. As long as your Wi-Fi reaches the garden you can group the Move to the kitchen Play:1’s. Later you could puchase a second Move and create a stereo pair for the garden, 

Thank you everyone. Been thinking about this. 

Regarding then responses - @AjTrek1 you are correct about the difference in my requirement. I think Stereo Separation is less of an issue in my Kitchen and power is my preference. So I have been thinking. 

I don’t need stereo in the garden, one move will be fine.  The office, it’s a small room so I am thinking two play ones will work great. 

Move my two play ones to the office. Move the play 5 to the kitchen. And buy a move for the kitchen and backyard.

I am flopping between all options. End result will probably by another play 5 and a move! But which to buy first.Hmmmm. I do have a Bose sounds link mini which does duty outside for the moment. And my kitchen has a window and sliding door… leave those open and I can hear my music! 

Decisions decisions! 

Hi @britishwonderings 

Think about this…

Unless you are itching to spend $900-USD :relaxed: (Move + Play 5) I’d move the Play 5 to the bedroom. Keep the kitchen as is. Purchase the Move and shuffle it between the garden and your office. At a later date pick up the Play 5 and make the changes you want. However, if your pockets are deep...go for it (Move + Play 5) :sweat_smile:LOL

Cheers!

@AjTrek1 No my pockets are not that deep! More of an end goal. Well, not sure there is an end goal with Sonos, that seems to just move as Sonos brings out new equipment. S2 and Atmos options suddenly seem like Possibility for me in 2021/2022 if they bring something out. Never ending. 

But right now I am interested in music - I have a beam/sub and play surrounds which does my fine in the TV room. 

I am just really enjoying music again these days. I used to listen a lot when it was younger and the past year or two have really started to enjoy it again! S2 - Tidal MQA and two play 5’s could be rather epic!? 

… see what I mean! :grin:

Well I went ahead and purchased the move. 

It’s pretty good. I have placed it in our bedroom, and if needed I can carry into the backyard. Also, I now have an easy means to play music in the EnSite. 

I still want that play 5 at some point but it will have to wait until things return to normal on planet earth.

Thanks for the responses. ​​​​

A

So - update. I picked up a refurbished play:5 from BestBuy. It was new I think. I know they may replace it in June but I already have one (that I won!!) and I am happy with quality. For for $500 Canadian I have two play:5’s in stereo. I am not going to complain at that. Sounds good. 

I have put my play one’s back in the n the kitchen. I removed the sub from my TV room and is also in the kitchen mated with the play one’s. So now I have two very competent stereo setups. 

My move resides in the bedroom and does duty in the office during the day and outside in the evening if the weather is good. 

And my TV is connected to a beam and two play:1 for surround. I don’t actually miss the SUB in there - for general TV and movie viewing the beam and play:1 setup generated a nice sound. Sure, it does not have that jaw dropping thud but with an 8yo at home, we could not really take advantage of the SUB. Most of the time it was on ‘night mode’ anyway. 

All in all, I think I am ​​​​very satisfied! 

On a side not - lots of questions re. two play one’s and a sub vs two play:5’s. Since I have both I will give my opinion. The two play:5s to my ears sound better. The sound is fuller and although they don’t  go as low as the 1’s with a sub they seem to give a more nuanced sound. But - the play one’s + SUB is still a nice sounding setup up. 

And simple stereo sound is lovely in both, I never got on with the surround sound setup for audio no matter how much a tweaked the settings.  There is something to be said for simple stereo.