Skip to main content
Question

Renewing the topic "Using surround speakers independently by selecting them individually or by creating a new group."

• 2 July 2024
  • 3 replies

There is an existing topic (6 years old), tagged as “Answered” but it has not been answered! 

If Sonos is waiting for technical proposals/advice/solution to start developing this feature, here is my 2 cents that Sonos can either: 

• Enable Sonos speakers to be members of different groups, as well as surround group simultaneously. 
  • Make Surround group speakers available to be chosen individually as the streaming speakers (e.g. Airplay)
  • Worst case: add a feature to SONOS app to be able to create different templates/profiles/configs and switch between them. 

Or at least add a feature to Surround group to be able to adjust volume for each individual speakers and of course a “Reset” button to put it back to what SONOS app thinks is the best setting. 

Similar to all other scenarios in the link above, I can only stream music to ALL speakers in Surround group or NONE. The pity is, if I am streaming music lets say only from my iPhone, I do not want the ARC to have the same volume as the Era 300s! 
I wish I could either remove the ARC from group (temporarily) or turn its volume down to 0, without having to remove the Surround group. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Soosk, welcome to the Sonos Community!

The topic you’ve linked seems to be a thread on having speakers be part of multiple setups (stereo pair & surround) that evolved into a feature request thread. Unless you meant to link a different topic, that one was closed as threads will automatically close after three months of having no replies.

Thank you for your suggestions and I’ll be sure to mark this thread as a feature request to be passed along to the relevant teams. With how long it’s been since that initial topic, it’s likely harder to achieve than having a config system, but it still could be possible to implement in some way in the future.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas, please feel free to share them here on the community!

Hi Jamie, 
Thanks for your reply. 
Yes, my question is also about have speakers in multiple groups, including the surround group. 

Is there any ETA for the feature release? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Soosk,

I don’t have an ETA I can share on this or even if this feature or a similar feature will be added, just that I have passed it along and marked this thread. If you’re just looking to have a selected of groups you can swap to, then that feature does exist and is called Saved Groups. The only thing that Saved Groups doesn’t allow is for surrounds to be part of a group that the Soundbar isn’t since those devices are paired together.

Generally, Sonos doesn’t share details on future products or features, but the Sonos Newsroom would be the closest you could get to announcements regarding this.