Skip to main content
I recently purchased a bunch of Sonos speakers. For my living room I ended up using a configuration of 2 Play 5 gen 2. For the dining room I'm using 2 x One.

When listening to the Play 5s, I'm getting the impression that the sound signature is sort of muffled. The speakers I used previously was a set of Genelec 8020. I find that the sound character of the Play 5s are much more colored. It helps a lot when I up the Treble, but I really prefer not meddling with EQ-settings.

Listening to the Ones, I don't get the same impression of color in the sound.

Have anyone else experienced something similar?
I don't have Play 5s but the general consensus is that they are excellent.

Have you run the Trueplay tuning? I suggest you do this to optimise the audio output Vs your sound space.
When listening to the Play 5s, I'm getting the impression that the sound signature is sort of muffled. The speakers I used previously was a set of Genelec 8020. I find that the sound character of the Play 5s are much more colored. It helps a lot when I up the Treble, but I really prefer not meddling with EQ-settings.

Have you tuned them using True Play? When I first had my Play 5 (gen 1, though) it didn't sound good at all. When it was eventually tuned, it was much better.
I haven't - but I'll see if I can find an iPad or an iPhone and do that. Thanks for the advice 🙂