Play 1 speakers volume fades in and out

• 27 December 2013
  • 22 replies

Completely installed sound bar and 2 play 1 speakers (right and left) but the play 1 sound fades in and out during movie and music. Sounds like a fading radio station. Is there a download or any quick fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there Jonathan,

Would you mind sending a diagnostic report when you're experiencing the problem? There is a specific issue where the rear surround speakers will flutter quietly up and down in volume on some systems. This occurs only when playing PCM or stereo sound (like you would get from many normal TV channels). We have a patch available for the systems experiencing this issue which has had great success. I can flag you for this update, but I'll need to see a diagnostic report and make sure that's what's affecting your system.

You can send a diagnostic report by following the instructions in this FAQ. Please let me know what your confirmation number is once you've sent it and I'll take a look.

Thanks.
Hi, I connected with Sonos on the Phone, submitted a diagnostic and completed an update which fixed the problem right away.  However, watching TV today and the problem is happening again and there is no option to perform an update.  Any idea on further trouble shooting?  thanks.  

jonathan 
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi, I connected with Sonos on the Phone, submitted a diagnostic and completed an update which fixed the problem right away.  However, watching TV today and the problem is happening again and there is no option to perform an update.  Any idea on further trouble shooting?  thanks.  

jonathan 

Would you mind sending the diagnostic confirmation number that you got? I can take a closer look. If you need another, you can always submit another diagnostic.

Thanks.
i have started facing a similar issue today with my Play 1's. not sure how to go about sorting this out? Thanks, Varun
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
i have started facing a similar issue today with my Play 1's. not sure how to go about sorting this out? Thanks, Varun

Hi Varun,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app after you have this happen. Then, reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
I have just submitted a diagonistic report and now this has started happening very frequently. Is it possible this can be permanently fixed.
I have just submitted a diagonistic report and now this has started happening very frequently. Is it possible this can be permanently fixed.

You must post the confirmation number of the diagnostic or they cannot track it to you.
I have attahced that as a part of previous message. Submission Number - 6998127.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have attahced that as a part of previous message. Submission Number - 6998127.

Hi vatandon,

Your PLAY:1 speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. Please try changing the wireless channel on your router to 1 or 6 and see if things improve.
But my question is why this voice only fades on Play 1's and not on soundbar? When both of them are connected to same TV and same internet. Not sure, if there is some other problem with just Play 1's.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
But my question is why this voice only fades on Play 1's and not on soundbar? When both of them are connected to same TV and same internet. Not sure, if there is some other problem with just Play 1's.

The PLAYBAR is wired into your TV and will play audio even if it is not connected to your network. The PLAY:1s communicate wirelessly with the PLAYBAR to play the audio. It may not be the solution but it's worth clearing up the connection errors then we can move on to more troubleshooting.
I am having the same problem with sound fading in and out from Play-1s. I sent a diagnostic report from the SONOS app along with the confirmation number. I have not heard back regarding how to fix the problem. If the play -1 speakers are losing connection with the wireless modem, how do I fix that?
If you don't post the diagnostic number here, or call in and give it to them on the phone, they likely won't look at it. I imagine they get thousands of submissions daily, and probably don't know which ones to look at and which ones to ignore unless you communicate to them.

Do it again, within 10 minutes of the fading issue, and then come back here and post the number. They're much more likely to respond. Or call them, from all reports, their phone staff is great, too.
Thank you for the advice. I actually called tech support today and my problem was resolved remotely.
Outstanding!

Would you be willing to share the resolution, for those who may find this thread at a later date with a similar issue?
After contacting SONOS troubleshooting I found out I didn't have Real surround sound. The technician remotely changed the configurations and also changed the modem channel from 7 to 1. Everything works well now.
I'm also having this issue now, diagnostics number 7630317
I am having a similar issue with my Play 1. However, my Play 1 is stand alone and I only use it to stream music from Spotify. When the volume is turned up high, the level will drop periodically and then go back to normal in a couple seconds. Diagnostic report number 8361327.
Experiencing this same issue - diagnostic report number 462500966.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are you sure the speakers are not ducking because someone in house is talking to Alexa. I have my playbar system disabled in the alexa skill for this reason.
@Chris - Unfortunately no - this speaker is in our office and there's no Amazon Echos around.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But do you have the alexa skill enabled for your house.