Skip to main content
I have two PLAY:1 speakers that I only use when I'm getting ready for work in the morning. I've noticed that they register on my router as uploading about 3 GB of data per month EACH. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?
No. They shouldn't have any data to upload. They download data, anything that you stream, but there's nothing to upload.
I am seeing the same thing. I have UnFi (Ubiquity) in my house and as of the recent firmware updates I am seeing large upload usage. I am seeing 3.5GB over several days per device.
Have they been uploading to WAN or is it total data in/out over the entire network... One could be downloading the audio, then redistributing to the other speakers... just my thoughts...
If they want to provide you with your data/statistics of what you play/when and where (see https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/mydata/), they would have to gather this data from your Sonos system and upload to their servers, but 3GB of data (and per speaker as TheCptNemo mentioned) is simply a huge amount of data...I'd be interested to know what this data is...
I have two PLAY:1 speakers that I only use when I'm getting ready for work in the morning. I've noticed that they register on my router as uploading about 3 GB of data per month EACH. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

I am having the same exact issue. But in my case I have about 20 speakers in a retail space. We saw a huge spike in traffic and found the Sonos 1 speaker that was causing it. It was causing all kinds of latency on our network. After blocking it from the firewall, the network worked perfectly and the issue was resolved. I don't understand why the speaker was doing this. Did you ever get a resolution?