Answered

Pair Sonos One with Play:1

• 4 October 2017
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Has this been fixed yet?
No. As far as Sonos is concerned, it operates as designed. As noted in this thread, you can use the SonoSequencr app to pair them if you wish.
As I didn't spend too much time on researching the differences between "One" and "1" (they look pretty much the same), I ordered a "One" with the intention to pair it with the "1" I already have. Very disappointed in Sonos, it's borderline deceiving marketing. I have been a strong advocate until now, telling all my friends to get a Sonos system. Will not any more and returning the "One".

Good grief! In what way is it "deceiving marketing"? They never stated it was the same as the Play:1, they never claimed it could be paired with the Play:1, they specifically named them different names (unlike the Play:5 fiasco) and the only thing that made anyone think they could be paired is they looked similar, so people assumed. I highly doubt Sonos knew what people were going to assume, in fact the CEO himself stated they never considered pairing them because they assumed the aesthetics would keep people from ever considering it.

I share my frustration with many of you on this forum and have a similar situation as MikaelA. Not sure I understand Sonos' rationale for not making the Play:1 and Sonos One compatible as a stereo pair. From everything I've read thus far, amplifiers and acoustics between the two models are nearly identical. If anyone has specs or benchmarks which disprove this, please share them. Since, I don't listen to aesthetics or Alexa, the ability to pair them and compatibility with Air Play is what would have motivated me to continue to build on the system I have and keep me a loyal customer.

Now, like many others, I'm just another frustrated Sonos customer about to return the two Ones I just purchased. I should have realized something was amidst when I saw so many Sonos One open box returns at Best Buy on line and in stores.

The reason I started purchasing Sonos products was for their superb sound quality and their ability to drive improvements via software upgrades across product lines, regardless of the hardware platform. The most recent feature and model upgrades lack of backward compatibility and support are making me rethink this decision.

Sonos, I urge you to reconsider making Play:1 and One compatible as a stereo pair and adding Air Play 2 compatibility across product lines. Keep in mind, it's your older loyal customers that have championed your products through the years and this should mean something to you...
Sonos has stated that the only two items shared between the two is the power connector and a part of the base. All other components are different. You can easily see this by looking through the grill, the speakers and their enclosures are completely different. See these exploded views for more (Top Play:1, Bottom - One):

Also, one of the main reasons for not being able to pair them is one has the ability to play Airplay 2, the other does not. Imagine if Sonos allowed you to pair them, then took away the ability after releasing Airplay 2? What would the reaction be to that?

Either way, as mentioned many times in this and other threads, you can purchase SonoSequencr from the App Store and pair them to your heart's content.
Badge
Well, not just the Dot, but any Amazon Alexa enabled device, there is a handful of them. The Dot is, I think, the lowest priced ine, though.

Now, the Amazon Fire Stick with voice remote will probably be cheapest at like $35 or 40. So glad I bought Fire TV at double that cost 😞