Skip to main content
Hi,

I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to configure my new Play:5 speaker. Unboxed it in the kitchen and started the app to configure it. Sporadically managed to detect it from my Android phone, but never managed to complete the config. Tried again with my girlfriend's iphone, which always managed to detect it but never complete wifi config.

So I moved it to the living room and connected it with the cable. It finally worked. So I moved it back to the kitchen, but again nothing. (Everything else works on the wifi there, with max signal strength.) Moved it back to cable in the living room, and reconfigured wifi. Unplugged the cable and it worked on wifi!!! So I moved it across the living room to the table, but again it didn't work. :(

So once more I moved it back right next to the router, without the cable. Now it worked fine. So while playing a song I moved it about 2 meter away. The song kept playing, but I lost control from my phone and was unable to pause, and then the song disconnected and the device disappeared from the network. The app tells me "Unable to connect to the Sonos player".

Seems like the wifi antenna in my Play:5 is busted, no? Wifi only works if I'm less than a meter from my router. And like I said, everything else works all around the house. Phones, laptops, iPad, Chromecasts... And this is no IP conflict, because that wouldn't be affected by the distance from the wifi router.
There have been a small number of PLAY:5 gen 2s that have had bad wifi cards in them. Your best bet is to either return it to your retailer, or call in to Sonos to discuss replacement. You can find the regional phone and hours at www.sonos.com/contact
Hi kefir welcome to the community. We'll be happy to get to the bottom of what's causing the PLAY:5 to drop from your system. As the PLAY:5 works when wired directly to the router, can you please wire it back to the router, submit a diagnostic, and then post the number here for our review.
I’m having the same issue with mine. Any resolution ?
Perhaps if you were to follow the instructions in the post directly before yours?