Answered

Kind request to Sonos One SL users

• 27 December 2023
  • 13 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I am just going to buy One SL but would like to ask one thing. When I connect the new One SL only using an Ethernet cable to my network, is it necessary to have Bluetooth switched on on my phone, to use Sonos app to control the speaker? In other words - can I only have Wi-Fi switched on on the phone, to connect to my network and control speaker by app this way?

Would you take such a test, please?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 December 2023, 15:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

After installation, there is no need to have Bluetooth switched on to control the One.  It is WiFi only. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

After installation, there is no need to have Bluetooth switched on to control the One.  It is WiFi only. 

This is how it is. 

Badge +1

I understand, thank you, I understand that in practice you used this option (Ethernet on speaker, Wi-Fi  on application) without any problems?

I understand, thank you, I understand that in practice you used this option (Ethernet on speaker, Wi-Fi  on application) without any problems?

As long as your router bridges between Ethernet and WiFi (the vast majority do).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have both SonosNet (wireless) and Ethernet connected One SLs and they work perfectly.

No clue when end of production will be for the One and One SL but as the Era 100 is newer and similar I’d expect that eventually.

Badge +1

I have both SonosNet (wireless) and Ethernet connected One SLs and they work perfectly.

No clue when end of production will be for the One and One SL but as the Era 100 is newer and similar I’d expect that eventually.

And Bluetooth switched off on your phone and still having full control of the speaker by the phone app?

Thanks for your suggestion about that alternative for SL! Unfortunately double expensive 🤔 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Bluetooth on or off makes no difference as it isn’t used by the SL after setup. (see the first response above)

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a One SL today, Sonos will be supporting it for many years after they end production. They still support Zone Players that haven’t been sold in close to 20 years.

I’d buy from Sonos if you can, other places may have them after the Sonos store sells out.

Badge +1

In fact, Era 100 is much larger, much more expensive and, strangely enough, it has no Ethernet at all.
Fortunately, I found SL at a local seller :-)

In fact, Era 100 is much larger, much more expensive and, strangely enough, it has no Ethernet at all.
Fortunately, I found SL at a local seller :-)

Ethernet for Era speakers is available via an accessory dongle.

Badge +1

In fact, Era 100 is much larger, much more expensive and, strangely enough, it has no Ethernet at all. (...)

Ethernet for Era speakers is available via an accessory dongle.

Hmm...looks like Apple Company style of business ;-) Get from client as much money as you can :-/ 

Hmm...looks like Apple Company style of business ;-) Get from client as much money as you can :-/ 

It would cost everyone more, if Sonos had chose to include it in the original Era package, so only those that want one, need pay for it. So they’re not exactly getting as much money as they can from their customers in this instance. 

EIther that, or Sonos knows exactly what percentage of Sonos devices are connected via Ethernet and decided that small percentage wasn’t worth the extra cost to keep including it in the design.  However, they do offer it as an accessory to those who require it. 

Badge +1

Well, going this way, we should prepare to have separate dongle for WiFi, BT, USB…
In my opinion, making Ethernet embedded on the main board costs cents. Producing separate units, and mainboards with another interface to connect those units - costs much more, and you know who pays. completely marketing decision IMHO, not client-oriented, not eco, not esthetic. 

Anyway, don’t want to continue this thread in this way :-)