Question

Is there a higher res radio then tune in?

• 27 January 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge
Do sonos support any other radio then tune in? Seems a shame to have such good speakers and only support low res radio.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Tune In gives access to hundreds of radio stations, that stream at different rates, and with variable sound quality. And Sonos also supports many streaming service providers; Apple Music for instance, delivers music of excellent quality, subject to the usual limitations of how well the streamed song has been mastered.
On Sonos, TuneIn just serves up a choice of URLs, which Sonos accesses directly. These streams vary in quality but I think the best quality is supposed to be served up first.

If you have a favourite station that has streams of varying qualities, and you can find the URL for the best quality, you can add it manually to Sonos.
Badge
On Sonos, TuneIn just serves up a choice of URLs, which Sonos accesses directly. These streams vary in quality but I think the best quality is supposed to be served up first.

If you have a favourite station that has streams of varying qualities, and you can find the URL for the best quality, you can add it manually to Sonos.

Hi, thanks but I'm new to all this how do I find the URL and how do I add it manually?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Try accessing it through a PC web browser. When you get the audio streaming page just copy the address bar. There are probably better ways though.
how do I find the URL and how do I add it manually?
You add it via the Desktop Controller. Manage/Add Radio Station.
Try accessing it through a PC web browser. When you get the audio streaming page just copy the address bar. There are probably better ways though.This doesn't always work. Some stations seem rather protective of their streaming URLs. Try Googling "streaming URL for xxxxx". Or Google "how to find streaming URL". There are bits of software out there but i have never dug into it myself
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Some streaming URLs can be easy to find... some much harder. You'll first need to go to the website of the station you want to listen to.

Some stations put a "listen" link on their site that will open in a music player on your computer (i.e. Windows Media Player, iTunes, Winamp, VLC, or some other media program). Those kinds of links can often be copied into the Sonos desktop controller using the Manage menu > Add Radio Station option.

Depending on your browser, some stations might open with a small player with basic controls in the middle of your browser window. Those URLs can usually be copied directly from your browser address bar and pasted into the Sonos desktop controller as well.

If it opens in a Flash-based player, it can often be much harder to find the URL of the stream, and sometimes it might not even be possible. If the website for the station that you want to hear uses a flash-based player, post the URL here and one of us can see if we can find the main URL for the stream. These kinds of players can often require digging into the web page, script files that are referenced by the web page, or other means of finding what the player is accessing.

And, of course, there's the caveat that the station might not have a higher quality stream available. If this is the case, you might want to ask the station if they plan on making a higher quality version available.
Badge
Some streaming URLs can be easy to find... some much harder. You'll first need to go to the website of the station you want to listen to.

Some stations put a "listen" link on their site that will open in a music player on your computer (i.e. Windows Media Player, iTunes, Winamp, VLC, or some other media program). Those kinds of links can often be copied into the Sonos desktop controller using the Manage menu > Add Radio Station option.

Depending on your browser, some stations might open with a small player with basic controls in the middle of your browser window. Those URLs can usually be copied directly from your browser address bar and pasted into the Sonos desktop controller as well.

If it opens in a Flash-based player, it can often be much harder to find the URL of the stream, and sometimes it might not even be possible. If the website for the station that you want to hear uses a flash-based player, post the URL here and one of us can see if we can find the main URL for the stream. These kinds of players can often require digging into the web page, script files that are referenced by the web page, or other means of finding what the player is accessing.

And, of course, there's the caveat that the station might not have a higher quality stream available. If this is the case, you might want to ask the station if they plan on making a higher quality version available.

Excellent. Thanks so much. I'll give that a go.