In Praise of Sonos Old and New

• 6 September 2023
  • 4 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi friends,

Name is Johnny, a severely disabled guy retired  in a nursing  home in W--s--M. After many trials with voice and bluetooth speakers and not enjoying them, I found an old Sonos zone player covered in dust at the back of a 2nd hand shop, literally going for a song!:). Struggled home with it in my wheelchair (weighs 5kg!), cleaned it and installed s1 app. After doing a factory reset, the app found the speaker 1st time, connected to the home's secure WiFi and performed a system update faultlessly.

After adding my music service and alll my fav radio stations to the app and ticking the uncompressed setting, I enjoyed a wonderful and varied 6hr listen, which helps with my pain and discomfort, without a hint of strain, and not one WIFI dropout:).

Yes I know, the audio is not as good as the later models, or high res, nor is it supported anymore. However, For a beguiling and gentle long listen, there are few to match even an old Sonos:). So if your budget is tight please don't dismiss these older speakers. My having a speech difficulty, means it is a joy not to have to talk to it! The home's WiFi is very strong and most importantly password protected. Sonos does not like open networks. I love listening to music and voice and with the Sonos, forget the technical side, good though it is. A testimony to Sonos that such an old speaker is still going strong:). Thanks for listening folks.

Johnny 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wheelieman65 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I’m glad to hear you are enjoying your Sonos speaker!

Hi  Corry, 

Many thanks:). The Sonos Community is a credit to Communities:). Should never have parted with my previous Sonos! Have had serious hi-fi in the past, but am primarily a music lover and in a smallish package find Sonos hard to beat for the pleasure of listening.

I am proud I managed to set it up without help. Will see if I can save for a newer one:).

Name is Johnny W by the way, a pleasure to meet thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wheelieman65 

Thank you! The pleasure is all mine, Johnny!

Thanks Corry, enjoy your day🙂