I am unable to get my Sonos play 1 to connect to my wifi, I can get connection using my ethernet cable.

• 7 July 2015
  • 8 replies

I am unable to get my Sonos play 1 to connect to my wifi, I can get connection using my ethernet cable. I even played my speakers right next to my router/modem.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
When you plug a SONOS speaker into a router it switches to SONOSnet. If you don't want to have it plugged into your router permanently then follow these steps:

Plug it into your router,
Go to Settings in the App > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup
and once you complete the Wireless Setup, you will be able to move your Play:1 away from your router.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
There are a couple of settings you need to be aware of, you'll find the details in the article below:
Sonos WiFi Setup

Do let us know if you're still having difficulties connecting your PLAY:1.
I have the same issue guys. Need some help here too. I can only connect via ethernet cable. Once connected I tried to Advance Settings -> Wireless Setup but was stuck after entering the password.

I have 2 Sonos. The other is working fine.

My diagnostic # is 6777680
I have 2 Sonos. The other is working fine.
How is the other player connected? You'd only need to enter WiFi credentials once for the system.
WiFi. No issues with the other unit. Speakers are 1 metre away from AP.
In that case the second speaker should connect without having to fiddle with WiFi setup again.

If it's causing problems I suggest you reset just the second speaker. When it's been reset and its LED flashes green you should be able to add it via 'Add a Player or SUB'. Don't wire it unless the app tells you to.
Yup I just went through the process again, it wouldnt pass the chime (pressing play and + simultaneously) page, and LED becomes blinking RED.

However I tried something new just now, I turned on my Tethering on my phone with the same SSID and password. The old Sonos connects perffectly, the problematic Sonos able to configure and have a stable light.

But now as I swap over to my AP, it would connect again. Strange.
Was the tethering SSID active earlier? That would have confused Sonos, with two identical SSIDs on different networks.