I added a new Play1 (having to connect to my router and doing a factory reset) and now my existing P1 won't play (despite on the system).

I added a new Play1 (having to connect to my router and doing a factory reset) and now my existing Play1 won't play despite showing on the system).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like could be up conflict or got confused when you plugged the other one into router. Are you keeping one plugged in router or going back wireless only. I would unplug both. Reboot router. Then turn back on both (whichever method you are using ). And give them about 5 min to adjust to method (1 wired and sonosnet or all wifi)
Sounds like could be up conflict or got confused when you plugged the other one into router. Are you keeping one plugged in router or going back wireless only. I would unplug both. Reboot router. Then turn back on both (whichever method you are using ). And give them about 5 min to adjust to method (1 wired and sonosnet or all wifi)
Unplugged both, restarted the router,  then plugged in and tried the old one, which worked fine.   Then plugged in the new one, and no sound on that one.....both are wireless. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Alex,

Can you send us a diagnostic report? Reply with the confirmation number and we'll take a look for you. Here's how to submit diagnostic reports.
Hi Jeff,
A couple of days after I submitted the report and I started the system up, the App software offered to link the two which I did.  Works fine now.  Thanks for your response!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Alex,

That's great news. Please let us know if anything goes wrong.
Hi, I have a similar problem. I am trying to connect a new Play:1 to my existing wireless Play:1. I have factory reset my new Play:1 and been through the iPhone app system set up which all appears to have worked fine. But nothing is playing out of the new Play:1 following the set up. The old Play:1 still works fine. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi User937086,

You shouldn't have to go through the system setup to get your second PLAY:1 working. Normally you just need to add the PLAY:1 to your existing system following this procedure.

If you've already tried that or if it doesn't work, please send us a diagnostic report and reply here with the error message and the diagnostic confirmation number. Here's how to submit reports.
Hi, sorry, that's what I meant I'd tried and the system appeared to accept the new Play:1 (I gave it a room name etc). I've submitted a diagnostic - number 4764307. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi User937086,

Both of your PLAY:1 speakers are connected and communicating. It looks like they are not grouped though. It could be that you are just sending play commands to one of the speakers. You can group the two speakers together by clicking the group button on the rooms menu which will cause both speakers to play in unison. Or you can choose to play different music to each speaker by first clicking on the name of the speaker in your rooms menu, then giving it a play command, one by one.

Please let me know if you still can't get the second speaker to play audio.
Thank you. I can't see a "grouping" option under the "room settings" menu option in settings. It just shows the two rooms as options.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi User937086,

You do not need to go into the settings menu. Instead, you're looking for the rooms list which is one of the default landing pages. How to get there depends on which controller interface you are using. Here's a quick guide to grouping players.

It sounds like you're using the iPhone app. From the main page, click on the name of the name of the room, it's usually located near the top of the screen. Once you've clicked a room name the rooms list should slide down and you will see that next to each room name is a button that says group. If you click this button you can put a check mark next to each other room on your system to have them play together.

If you would prefer to have different music playing on each room you can use the rooms list to click on the name of the room you want to play, then give it a play command instead of clicking on the group button.

Please let me know if you are unable to get all of your speakers playing.
I have two sonos play 1's . Decided to buy a third and it refuses to connect to the existing system. Tried everything these threads suggest. However when I reset my controller on my iPad the new controller controls the new play1 but not the original pair I had...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have two sonos play 1's . Decided to buy a third and it refuses to connect to the existing system. Tried everything these threads suggest. However when I reset my controller on my iPad the new controller controls the new play1 but not the original pair I had...

Hi zacchaeuschan,

It sounds like your speakers are set up in two separate systems. Try connecting your iPad to the original pair of speakers then factory reset the new PLAY:1.

Once the PLAY:1 has been reset follow these steps to connect it to your existing system.