Skip to main content

I’m considering the Move speaker to use outside, but am not sure if it’s no different from any bluetooth speaker? I would only want it if it stays connected to my wi-fi when in the back yard, etc.

I’m not sure what you’re really asking, so I’ll provide some up information that might answer your need.

In Bluetooth mode, the Sonos Move is ‘just’ a Bluetooth speaker. In that mode, it does not connect to your WiFi, or share the Bluetooth signal with other Sonos speakers. 

In WiFi mode, it’s essentially a standard Sonos speaker, and can be grouped with any other Sonos speaker in your Sonos ecosystem. However, it does not have a SonosNet antennas, so can’t be bonded with a sub, or used as a surround speaker. It does, however, connect to either a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi signal. 

If that doesn’t answer your question, would you be so kind as to restate it?

Thank you so much! 

When I am in my yard, I can’t control my inside sonos from my phone because the wi-fi signal doesn’t travel that far.

so my question is - if I bring the “Move” outside, will it also not pick up my wi-fi signal, thereby making it just a bluetooth speaker?

but if it’s just a bluetooth speaker, will it play the same music as I;m playing inside?

I hope i’m making sense??!! Thanks for your input!

Depends on the strength of the WiFi signal. Being a larger device than the phone, there is the slight possibility that the Move might pick up your WiFi signal. But no guaranty at all. 

If it is in Bluetooth mode, it is not connected to the Sonos system, so it will only play what your phone sends to it, not any Sonos information. 

Ok, that clarifies it  - thanks so much again. Have a good day!