Has anyone got an official answer from SONOS about AMAZON ECHO Integration?

Userlevel 3
I see there are 92 articles on Amazon Echo here in the SONOS community. Has anyone from SONOS responded? Does SONOS have any intent to support Amazon Echo integration?

I can't imagine anyone not wanting that. It feels like that is just how SONOS should work. We love our SONOS system but we keep finding ourselves using the lesser quality Echo just because it's easier. I wish I could use my SONOS system as my speaker and my ECHO as the controller (unless of course my SONOS could just do the same thing). I can't imagine how anyone will beat ECHO for speed and quality of response. Not even SIRI can compete with our Amazon Echo experience.

If I have to I will replace my SONOS system with a bunch of ECHO's but I would never want to do that. Not even because of the investment I have already made with SONOS. I would buy a whole new SONOS system if I could have the AMAZON ECHO controller.

Are there any representatives of the SONOS company in this community? Can I even wish for true Integration between the two companies?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

101 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Why would Amazon want to integrate their wireless streaming speaker with a competing wireless streaming speaker?

Because Echo is more of an interface than a wireless music system and integrating them makes both products more useful. People will buy Echo to use with Sonos and they'll buy Sonos because it works with Echo.

Because Echo is more of an interface than a wireless music system and integrating them makes both products more useful. People will buy Echo to use with Sonos and they'll buy Sonos because it works with Echo.

That was 6 months ago. My feelings have changed since then. As a matter of fact, I put forth basically the same view as yours in another thread just yesterday.
Badge
I ordered an echo dot for the sole purpose of plugging it into my play5 for Amazon content. Internet of things or the soundtrack of my life, for me it's Sonos. The echo and iPhone/iPad are just the remote control.

Can't wait for echo integration. If and when it comes.
Why would Amazon want to integrate their wireless streaming speaker with a competing wireless streaming speaker?

I can well imagine Sonos may use Amazon's voice control technology but I'd be astonished if Sonos allowed an echo to become a Sonos player.
There's also now an Amazon Dot available, which is like a tiny Echo, and is geared more towards being a voice command interface (though it does also have a small speaker for use as an alarm, for replies to voice prompts, etc.):
http://smile.amazon.com/b/?node=14047587011

I really wish Sonos supported control-via-Echo (or Dot) out of the box.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The dot connected to play5 then allows input of all echo into Sonos. Been discussed a lot. There are a good dozen threads in (I know search system is hard to find topics)
One work around: I don't have an Echo but have a Fire TV. I also have the Sonos surround system. I use Alexa through the Fire TV remote or the iOS app. For Amazon Prime music I then group the other Sonos components to the PlayBar. Not ideal because the TV has to stay on, but it's great for parties.
Badge

Amazon doesn't care about owning the speaker market–they care about controlling your entire home. Hence why they have just released the Echo Dot, a smaller Echo that plugs directly into other audio sources and controls them. They even show one plugged into an A/V receiver in one of the marketing images.

In other words, I think they'd be perfectly happy to control Sonos speakers with their tech. It simply needs to be a simpler process.
Badge
The dot connected to play5 then allows input of all echo into Sonos. Been discussed a lot. There are a good dozen threads in (I know search system is hard to find topics)

Chris, have you tried this?
Badge
@rmgraci, @everybody

If I can create a virtual machine at home. What operating system you recommend for hosting your code?
I just got my Echo Dot last night. I connected it to my Sonos Play:5 Line-in source and the down side is that Sonos has to be permanently on Line-In hence, no Sonos playing unless you change it on your mobile, but then Alexa becomes crippled.

I'm wondering if the code developed by @rmgraci fixes this or can be modified to maintain a balance between native Sonos operation and Alexa's functionality with the speaker (when directly attached to a line-in of a Sonos speaker). Or, is there a different approach I missed?

Thanks to all who have contributed and keep contributing to this initiative!

-Mario
@Mario, have you tried Sonos auto line in feature?
Badge

No, where do I find it?
Badge

No, where do I find it?

Found it on my Sonos software in PC. Thanks!

Now, this does activate Echo audio on the Sonos speaker automatically, but does not set it back to where it was.
For example, if I was playing music and ask "Alexa, ..." it works, but it does not resume the music. Is this too much to ask?
A key to success in business is listening to your customers. From all the activity in this forum and the web in general, it's pretty obvious that Sonos/Echo integration is a real demand of the market. Our family loves our Sonos setup and we use it almost everyday but we are increasingly using Echo just because is a more spontaneous and direct an interface than a smartphone.
Echo is a very well executed product and way better than Siri. Not a matter of funding though. I'm sure Apple has enough R&D to come up with a better/faster Siri but they haven't. Amazon has the funding and somehow figured out the technology. I'm not sure Sonos can do better than Apple or Amazon on this. I hope they keep making great speakers (maybe one for outdoors?).
I hope Sonos and Amazon work out such integration. It would keep me buying more Sonos and Echo gear for the rest of my house. For now, I'm holding off.
Although no specifics were given, the Sonos CEO announced that he is quite aware of the success of the Echo, and is making voice activation and streaming the two top interests for Sonos in the immediate future:

http://blog.sonos.com/news/industry-in-transition-invest-in-future
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, let's tone it down a bit and hold off from trying to agitate each other when possible.
Hey guys, let's tone it down a bit and hold off from trying to agitate each other when possible.
Posted to the wrong thread? No apparent current agitation here.

Posted to the wrong thread? No apparent current agitation here.

Must have required a deletion.
I want to buy a full Sonos system for my house, but won't until there is an official integration with Alexa/Echo. @Sonos - My $ are waiting here for you...
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Found this today in my feedly feed (Search on Sonos)
Sonos has announced that a 2017 software update will allow owners of Alexa-enabled devices (currently Amazon’s Echo range) to control their Sonos speakers with their voices. Yes, even models like the Play:1 that don’t have a line-in, because it'll cleverly work via Wi-Fi.
Read more at http://www.stuff.tv/features/instant-upgrades-sonos#m0ucbm8APdQLV2j1.99
I want to buy a full Sonos system for my house, but won't until there is an official integration with Alexa/Echo. @Sonos - My $ are waiting here for you...

So you think they're going to rush it out the door for you? ROFL.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So you think they're going to rush it out the door for you? ROFL.

Well they're obviously working on it, since it is a feature in high demand by consumers. I personally don't like the Echo, it only supports limited music streaming options and I find it does a poor job understanding and responding to commands. But hey they've sold millions of them so what do I know :8.
I personally don't like the Echo, it only supports limited music streaming options...

And that's exactly why Sonos and Amazon Echo are "better together". 🙂 In case you haven't seen their promotional Video yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARbx4I3xZY