End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Ryan S I would respectfully recommend that Sonos sets up a “focus group” of some of your current customers to aid you with your communications on this matter. It is currently clear to me that there is a gulf opened up between the direction of the company and the expectations of your customers. I for one purchased my first systems to play music from the internet or from my music collection is any or all of the rooms I have them in, that is all I expect from my equipment. As long as I can continue to do this until the hardware fails that is all I want from my old equipment.

Userlevel 2

IN December I bought a Soundbar at great expense at a time when Sonos would have known it was instantly part of a legacy system. That’s not far short of theft.   Backward compatibility is not a new concept.  Sonos have shown considerable incompetence in not designing in the ability to update system dependent components.  You should be doing a recall and updating the memory capacity without charge instead of asking what have to date been loyal customers to shell out significant sums of money to get their systems back into support.  For equipment purchased as recently as 2011 to be no longer supported is a disgrace.  Who would buy Sonos now if they wanted to enter this market.  We have proof that this would be a very poor decision.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

So, to maintain my system as is, with all the updates and ease of use that I am accustomed to, I will have to replace my Connect with a Port? All I use it for is to Sonosify my AV amp and, for what it was, the Connect was already stupidly overpriced IMHO. I know Sonos is a profit based company of course, but I really did feel screwed over with the profit margin on that particular item! And now I would need to spend nearly DOUBLE for the exact same thing (for what I use it for) to keep updates and ease of use? Sorry, but time for me to look elsewhere for a new setup, because this totally sucks.

Well at least when I checked on my account all my Sonos products are legacy so I’ll just wait until they fall over after May and send them to landfill.

Of course it may be months or years before that happens. Either way I won’t lose sleep and I certainly won’t be taking up the derisory trade up offer (trade up to stand still more like). Just pleased I didn’t add a Playbar to the system back in December. My money will go on a traditional AV amp instead.

Userlevel 3

I did post on the ‘other’ thread, now closed, though not deleted. Having thought further, this is what I want from my Sonos system

1. To continue to stream music anywhere in my house from my stored music on the NAS
  2. To receive internet radio and stream it to any room in my house.
  3. To group any speakers in the house into any configuration I choose regardless of their age.

i do not need

1. voice control of any kind. I have an Echo dot for that (£39).
  2. Any particular streaming service because I do not want to be at the mercy of other companies changing their API . I do understand that others may feel differently about this.

in the meantime, and until this is resolved, I will not

1. purchase any further Sonos equipment (we were considering completely upgrading our TV sound system)
  2. recommend that any friends and family purchase Sonos equipment as I have in the past and feel deeply embarrassed that I have done so.

I will actively seek another solution for my music requirements from another provider.

Finally I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount to have my early Connect upgraded to the later flavour with more memory.

I was immensely proud of my Sonos system, but now look at it with something approaching distaste.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Funny, tonight I was looking at our house and had a chat with my wife, ”honey...I’m going to the garage to dust off the Onkyo and get my drill and some wire….we don’t need Sonos”. 

Maybe the blame is not on Sonos as much as my own decision. I am turning 50 this year and come from an upbringing that 10 years is not considered a lifespan of a speaker. I ‘thought’ Sonos was something that would be there longer….but maybe that’s just me…..

Interesting thoughts, and in line with the increasingly popular “off-the-grid” and “nature-first” ideas - maybe the future lined up by the electronic revolution - the future we partly got already - isn’t as attractive as expected. It adds new trouble and takes away old value. And I also felt (like you?) that the new things somehow have been made out of a different philosophy of branding and consumerism rather than being a seriously meant technical solution to a wish or a problem; a more or less permanent solution.

Another aspect, I think, is that when we get burned by experimenting with new things we seek back to safe harbour - the excitement of the possibilities can quickly die and leave a room and a need for feeling comfortable instead.

So, done experimenting, now time to just live with and enjoy what worked and what gave us a good experience, abandoning the failed experiments.

So, to maintain my system as is, with all the updates and ease of use that I am accustomed to, I will have to replace my Connect with a Port? All I use it for is to Sonosify my AV amp and, for what it was, the Connect was already stupidly overpriced IMHO. I know Sonos is a profit based company of course, but I really did feel screwed over with the profit margin on that particular item! And now I would need to spend nearly DOUBLE for the exact same thing (for what I use it for) to keep updates and ease of use? Sorry, but time for me to look elsewhere for a new setup, because this totally sucks.

I am in the same position as you.  As it happens, I never group my Connect-driven high end HiFi with other speakers, so I shall just separate it off and carry on using it.  And we don’t know yet exactly what a ‘split system’ will look like.  I’m not entirely sure Sonos do yet either.  If you can just ignore the hysteria and wait and see how things turn out you might find the impact on you is minimal, at least for a few years.  I cannot see any gain in taking any action at this point.  Of course, you may use your system differently from me, but I still say - wait and see.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Actually, having seen the response from Patrick Spence, one thing is cleared up. He didn’t just make a mistake at the start of the week, it wasn’t a blunder by some junior marketing person. He really doesn’t care a jot about his customers.

I am wondering if there’s any way to let Sonos shareholders know that I will consider buying Sonos products again the day after he quits.

He is on Twitter so use that medium to contact him and maybe the shareholders.

Dial in to the Sonos earnings call.  There is a Q&A session and callers and put questions directly to the CEO.    Everyone please dial in!  (and please repost this info - I think SONOS is deleting it when I post it here…. and I’m not on twitter or facebook so i can’t)

Feb. 5 at  5:00 p.m. Eastern Time

calling from inside US  (833) 236-2748, with conference ID 9666837.

calling from outside US  (647) 689-4173, with the same conference ID.

About Sonos

What a fantastic idea!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I am in the same position as you.  As it happens, I never group my Connect-driven high end HiFi with other speakers, so I shall just separate it off and carry on using it.  And we don’t know yet exactly what a ‘split system’ will look like.  I’m not entirely sure Sonos do yet either.  If you can just ignore the hysteria and wait and see how things turn out you might find the impact on you is minimal.  I cannot see any gain in taking any action at this point.  Of course, you may use your system differently from me, but I still say - wait and see.

Yes, I should have clarified that I will wait upon the “split system” thing but it doesn’t sound promising to me… if they called it the “invisibly split system” I’d have had more hope! ;)

Userlevel 2

It’s too late for me, the trust has gone.

Like many of you I have £k’s of components, Connect, S5, Play 3’s (probably next to go), Play 1’s (yep, probably only a couple of years left for these babies), Play Bar, Play Base, Beam, Sub and the One.  And that was it, system complete apart from maybe a Move, not a chance now though, wouldn’t spend a penny on any more.

I saw the writing on the wall when the replacement programme started and they bricked a friends Amp after he changed his mind.  I was considering buying the Ikea lamps at that stage but worried that if Sonos and Ikea fell out the products would cease to be supported.  Who knew it would be Sonos falling out with their own “legacy” products.

Staggering stupidity Sonos.  You’ll be going out of business.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Looking good there Sonos 79% Bad and growing.

No scumbag CEO groveling apology will fix this.

#sonosboycott #sonosbankruptcy

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m not entirely sure Sonos do yet either.

I’m wondering in what universe it’s professional conduct to not know this prior to making an announcement of this significance. Sonos needs some adult supervision.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What are some people reading that they think Sonos has changed anything at all?

The letter from the CEO was clearly a calculated position determined by the company and simply attributed to him, why else did it take so long for them to release.

It also doesn’t say anything new, at all.

They prefaced it with an empty apology and played “word shuffle” on the message, but nothing has changed.

Precisely this ^

The letter from Sonos’ CEO doesn’t retract anything that the company announced earlier this week.

Sonos has insisted these products has been taken to their technological limits.

If Sonos are hell bent on instigating a change which compomises the functionality of equipment, then Sonos should bear the main financial burden of implementation.

Sonos might think issuing a statement reiterating it’s existing position is the end of the matter (which may or may not have been written by Spence), but it reads to anyone with a modicum of intelligence as Corporate Gaslighting and Word Salad.

No one expects something for nothing, but if the current 30/70 being offered was flipped to 70/30, then perhaps loyal customers might feel they’re valued & it would demonstrate how serious Sonos are about “working harder than ever to earn your loyalty” rather than insulting their loyal customers with a derisory trade-in value the bean-counters came up with.

I hate the idea of horse trading a ‘Premium product’, but…

SONOS *DOES NOT* HEAR US!

Userlevel 4
Badge

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.sonos.com

Review Sonos here

#

Having only purchased my connect amp around 18 months ag , this is a slap in the face. I've got a play base, 2 play 5s, 2 ones, and the connect amp. I won't be spending a penny more on sonos products after this. Less than 2 years fully functioning lifespan for a piece of hardware that cost over £500 should be illegal 

I have one legacy product and then 2x play 1 and 3s. The main concern I have is how much time do I have until these become legacy? Has anyone got an answer? Until I have this question answered I cannot make a decision what to do with my play 5 and cannot make any future purchases with Sonos. I was considering an amp and beam but no longer. If anyone has got any insight to my question would love to hear. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The letter from the CEO was clearly a calculated position determined by the company and simply attributed to him, why else did it take so long for them to release.

They prefaced it with an empty apology and played “word shuffle” on the message, but nothing has changed.

Precisely this ^

The letter from Sonos’ CEO doesn’t retract anything that the company announced earlier this week.

If Sonos are hell bent on instigating a change which compomises the functionality of equipment, then Sonos should bear the main financial burden of implementation.

Sonos might think issuing a statement reiterating it’s existing position is the end of the matter (which may or may not have been written by Spence), but it reads to anyone with a modicum of intelligence as Corporate Gaslighting and Word Salad.

No one expects something for nothing, but if the current 30/70 being offered was flipped to 70/30, then perhaps loyal customers might feel they’re valued & it would demonstrate how serious Sonos are about “working harder than ever to earn your loyalty”, rather than the derisory trade-in value the bean counters came up with.

I hate the idea of horse trading a ‘Premium product’, but…

I am trying to use #sonostradein70discount where I can

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Precisely this ^

No one expects something for nothing, but if the current 30/70 being offered was flipped to 70/30, then perhaps loyal customers might feel they’re valued & it would demonstrate how serious Sonos are about “working harder than ever to earn your loyalty” rather than insulting their loyal customers with a derisory trade-in value the bean-counters came up with.

I hate the idea of horse trading a ‘Premium product’, but…

And also https://en.community.sonos.com/community-feedback-229090/did-sonos-mean-70-discount-to-trade-in-your-obsolete-devices-sonostradein70discount-6836092#post16397569

Userlevel 3
Badge

I think it would be useful for those of us looking for real information about the way forward for our systems, if other customers wouldn’t clog this thread up with repeated spamming of requests for huge discounts?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have started posting 1* reviews of Sonos on amazon UK and all the major electrical stores here in the UK and suggest everyone else does the same. If enough people keep on making a fuss they will have to change their minds on this, surely?

Userlevel 1
Badge

They do not even deserve 1*

(starting a new topic here because every other chat relating to the core topic has been closed for comment - nice)

I bought my Sonos Product new in 2014. The end of software updates / end of support suggests it’s legacy products between 2005 and 2011, but mine is included, even though it was bought new in 2014. That’s a contradiction. So Sonos sold me what they knew was outdated non future-proof product after a date they later use to define “legacy and outdated” on the basis of those products being based on tech that cannot handle new innovation.

So why was Sonos product sold in 2014 not already upgraded to newer hardware that will then not suffer from being bracketed with older tech from 2005 to 2011?

In my lingo, that 2014 product is not fit for purpose (because it’s being bracketed with product from 2005). That statement, in retail law, justifies a full refund. That’s how clear cut the bad behaviour from Sonos is on this issue.

I see the CEO has admitted Sonos did not get this right. If this is really true, where’s the follow up email to the one I received 21st January telling me the original email is wrong and everything is going to be fine?

Iain

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I think it would be useful for those of us looking for real information about the way forward for our systems, if other customers wouldn’t clog this thread up with repeated spamming of requests for huge discounts?

The way this consumer anger is going, Sonos might not get an opportunity to sell any fresh & exciting products if the brand continues to self-devalue in the way it has in the last 72 hours.

It’s a situation of Sonos’ own making. 

Some people have spent thousands

What do you expect people to do?

Roll over so customers can go through the same rinse & repeat in another 5 Years time (or less), when it’s decreed expensive equipment is outdated & ‘legacy’?

There is no real information, because Sonos hasn’t decided on the information, or more likely it has but is keeping it’s customers in the dark as it’s going to cost them.

That’s the issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I have been living in a SONOS bubble for years. Thanks to all the posters for opening my eyes to ALL the terrific alternatives. My favorite so far is Yamaha and their Multicast technology, even with SONOS’ stupid 30% rebate offer, Yamaha looks like a better option.
Have to mention the Audio Pro LINK 1. Replaces a connect for $129.

Let the research begin. 
So long SONOS suckers.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The way this consumer anger is going, Sonos might not get an opportunity to sell any fresh & exciting products if the brand continues to self-devalue in the way it has in the last 72 hours.

It’s a situation of Sonos’ own making. 

Some people have spent thousands

What do you expect people to do?

Roll over so customers can go through the same rinse & repeat in another 5 Years time (or less), when it’s decreed expensive equipment is outdated & ‘legacy’?

There is no real information, because Sonos hasn’t decided on the information, or more likely it has but is keeping it’s customers in the dark as it’s going to cost them.

That’s the issue.

I don’t think at any point I’ve said to “roll over”, and I think your reply here is illustrative of the hysteria that some customers have whipped themselves up into in how you’ve taken what I wrote and completely blown it out of proportion, but spamming this thread with massive images and repeated requests for discounts when what customers more generally need is clarification and information on what they are doing about split systems, isn’t helping other customers.