Answered

Do Sonos devices in a wired setup use dedicated wireless connections even if WiFi is disabled?

• 2 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Are Sonos devices in a surround setup using dedicated wireless connections even if all devices are connected wired via Ethernet and WiFi is disabled in the settings?

I am running a Sonos surround setup (arc, sub and two era300). All devices are connected to the home Gigabit network via dedicated Ethernet cables. WiFi is disabled in the Sub and Arc settings. The Eras are connected via Sonos Combo adapter. Everything works fine.

Checking the web interface of the surround devices via port 1400 there are no ath0 entries in the ipconfig report.

But I am still wondering if there is a wireless connection between the surround devices.

Can someone from Sonos give a „official“ answer?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 2 January 2024, 22:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you disable WiFi, that connection is also disabled.  In fact, the entire radio is shut off.  We know this because people who shut off WiFi but do not connect the surrounds/sub via Ethernet lose audio to the surrounds/sub.

Thank you for sharing your experience. But I would really appreciate, if someone from Sonos would give a statement here.

Last week a AV technician explained to me, that he was told by a Sonos technician that in the surround setting the devices need to communicate wireless.

I  really do not like to sit right right between two Era300 constantly sending radio signals next to my head. Otherwise I am very happy with my 100% wired ultimate Sonos surround setup.

So as I am not sure whether there’s a wireless communication going on, I am considering returning the whole setup within my 100 day window.

Reached out to Sonos support. The technician confirmed that disabling WiFi disables the radio and that if all surround devices are connected via Ethernet the Sonos devices do not communicate wireless.