Skip to main content

Hi,

I have 2 new Sonos roam speakers. The sound quality, design etc is amazing, however the battery life is really poor, only lasting approx 2 hrs after an over night charge. I have enabled battery saving and turned off all other value services to try to improve this but without any success. Any advice or ideas?

Cheers

Is the Roam battery charging to 100%?

When charging the Roam, try to use a 5V/2A (10W) USB power adapter.

When not using the Roam, turn it off completely by pressing and holding down the button on the back for about five seconds until you hear a descending chime. Disabling the microphone can also extend the battery charge.

Thanks for the advice. It does charge to 100%. Let me disable the mic and check the adapter and test it again 👍

With Battery saver enabled my Roams power off and are good for over a month.

Hi @Gray1234 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Although unlikely, it’s possible that you were shipped a unit with an issue. You really should get much more than 2 hours of playback from 100% charge. If this is still an problem that you are experiencing, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to check the power statistics recorded by your Roam. If the stats don’t measure up, we’ll replace your unit.

A good thing for Sonos to implement is a battery charge limit, not unlike the volume limit. Some smartphones and battery vehicles also have this feature. 

Li-ion batteries degrade faster at a full state of charge compared to a partial state of charge (say 70%). 

For example, my Move is always resting on its charging base outside of the occasional portable use. It would be good that it stops charging above 80%.