Skip to main content

I must admit that I am extremely impressed with my stereo pair of Play 5’s,with the Sub…..The system is so good that I pretty much can’t believe you can get this much sound quality at these prices….I was an audiophile for years and spent a bundle on high end equipment….This set up has me impressed,but I wonder if the dream will end sooner than I’d like,since these cost “so much less” than many standard audio products of the past…..Hmm?

How have your older Sonos products held up?

Thanks in advance.-:)

I can hear no difference now on my speakers that I’ve owned for around 10 years. They still sound as good as when I purchased them. 

My 2006 stuff still sounds as good as ever, my ears are worse though so I may be missing something.

@Magictwanger .  As a recovering audiophile, I share your views on how good the speakers are for the money.  That is why I have become a Sonos fanboy.  I chuckle when people post on here describing Sonos as ‘expensive, high end audio’; I just think, ‘You have no idea….’.

I agree with @Airgetlam and @Stanley_4 that I can detect no deterioration in sound quality.  Like them, there would be more chance of my thinking there had been a decline when actually my hearing would be the issue!

I think the nature of digital equipment is that it works or it doesn’t - gradual deterioration is just not in its nature.

FYI, my oldest current speakers are seven years old.

I think the nature of digital equipment is that it works or it doesn’t - gradual deterioration is just not in its nature.

That is probably the case; but the thing is that it is difficult to say if there has been a gradual degradation because the ears will keep getting used to it. It will take someone that has bought new kit recently - of the same models - to say more definitively if the old still sounds just like the new.

PS: that said, even my passive Quad speakers bought in 2002 sound just as good now, as does Sonos kit from 2014.

That is all fair comment, Kumar.  And true of my ‘traditional’ Cyrus/PMC setup too.

These are all subjective and unscientific observations anyway.  I suppose all that any of us can say with confidence is ‘I haven’t noticed any change’.