Skip to main content

Sonos Voice Control when using Boost?

• 20 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Since the new app update - all of my products that are connected to my boost (about 75% of my system) show as “Network Unavailable” and therefore cannot have Voice Control set up.  They are definitely connected devices and in the System Info page they all show “WM:SONOSNET” (BTW - this appears to be new to me but assuming it just means they are connected to the Boost).

Does anyone know how to get your speakers on Voice control when connected to the boost?

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Since the new app update - all of my products that are connected to my boost (about 75% of my system) show as “Network Unavailable” and therefore cannot have Voice Control set up.  They are definitely connected devices and in the System Info page they all show “WM:SONOSNET” (BTW - this appears to be new to me but assuming it just means they are connected to the Boost).

Does anyone know how to get your speakers on Voice control when connected to the boost?

How many speakers do you have in your system?

Is the Boost used because you are unable to hardwire a speaker to your network?

Are you able to hardwire a main speaker like a soundbar or a Five?

Some users have had issues when using the boost after the new app update. Removing solved some issues.

How many speakers do you have in your system?

Is the Boost used because you are unable to hardwire a speaker to your network?

Are you able to hardwire a main speaker like a soundbar or a Five?

Some users have had issues when using the boost after the new app update. Removing solved some issues.

I have 12 speakers currently connected to the Boost.  It has greatly improved the stability of those connections.  Most speakers aren’t positioned in a way to get them hardwired although I might be able to get one of my amps hooked up.  If I get an amp hardwired, are you saying that would essentially create a new network for all the speakers to connect to?  The Amp would be the furthest away from all other speakers, so not sure if that would impact it or not?

Connecting any Sonos device (except Subs and surround speakers) will force the device to act in the same manner as a BOOST. I would not choose the Amp in your case, but a Sonos device more easily wired to the router, since your Amp is the furthest away.

Connecting any Sonos device (except Subs and surround speakers) will force the device to act in the same manner as a BOOST. I would not choose the Amp in your case, but a Sonos device more easily wired to the router, since your Amp is the furthest away.

So do you think that is the issue with the Voice Control not working? That I’m using a boost?  And would that problem still persist if I hardwired one of my speakers.

I honestly don’t know. I too use a BOOST, although I don’t use SVC. I was only responding to the ‘need to wire my Amp’ part of the question. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

For troubleshooting purposes, go ahead and connect the Amp while the Boost is connected. Make sure WIFI stays enabled on it.

I have not used a Bridge/Boost since Sonos allowed a speaker to be the main connected device. I also have never went completely wireless.

Its not easily found, but Sonos did recommend that you wire 1 device for every 5 speakers you have. I went overboard and wired 5 of my 11 speakers. I never had a connection issue in all my years using the product line. Even the new app works great for me.