Answered

Sonos Voice Control support through S1 app?

• 23 November 2022
  • 8 replies

This link here:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/s1

clearly indicates that Sonos Voice Control should be possible in the S1 app. Is this something that is “coming” but not yet here? Or is this a mistake?

I would love to enable it on my S1 system.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 November 2022, 11:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I think you are referring to voice control via the Sonos Alexa integration which is available on S1 if offered in your geography.

@Kumar I am not - it clearly lists “Sonos Voice Control” along with “Amazon Alexa” and “Google Assistant”, indicating that all three are supported. Take a look for yourself.

This here:

This FAQ seems to imply it is S2 only. 

Hard to think that if there wasn’t enough memory space on the speakers running S1 to add SMB v2 or v3 that there would be enough space to add Sonos Voice Control. 

@Airgetlam They seem to add these voice features depending on the device model. So for example, if you have Sonos Ones, they are still hardware-capable of running Sonos Voice Control (as they do run it, when you load S2 into them). I’m guessing all the devices that lack the memory capacity for SMB v2/3 also have no voice control of any kind.

I agree that the FAQ does imply it’s S2, but I’m wondering why the direct contradiction on the S1 App Description page I linked. I guess I’m hoping it’s something that they’re planning to do. They still seem to update the S1 app fairly frequently.

As some one on S1, I understand that the S1 app updates are now only essential security patches, and since I also have no mic equipped Sonos kit, I have not looked at SVC very closely.

You seem to have a point though, and only someone like @Corry P from Sonos can clarify it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mtwomey 

Thanks for flagging this - Sonos Voice Control should not be mentioned in the S1 guide at all. SVC is only compatible with S2 and will not run on S1, even on a device that has a microphone.

Although Alexa and Google Assistant can command S1 devices with no mic, they can only do so because they are on the same Sonos system. I think this must be where this error came from. SVC cannot be on the same system as S1 devices, therefore cannot command them.

I’ve passed this up the chain and it should be corrected sometime soon. Thanks again!

The Sonos policy is that S1 updates are bug fixes and security updates only. There is no possibility of developments such as SVC being added to S1. 

Boooooo. But thanks for clarifying.