Answered

Sonos voice control for BBC radio 2

Userlevel 1
Badge

I want Sonos voice control to play BBC Radio 2 on my Beam but each time I ask it to play I say Hey Sonos play radio 2 it plays the wrong channel it plays some Welsh BBC radio not the standard BBC radio 2 Does anyone know how to get Sonos voice control to play BBC radio 2? I have BBC Sounds in my Sonos app and can use Alexa to play but I want to use the new Sonos voice not Alexa please help if anyone knows if this can be done? Thankyou

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 14 June 2022, 10:30

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7

You can’t as BBC Sounds is not yet a supported music service for Sonos Voice Control.

BBC Radio Cymru 2 remains on TuneIn hence why SVC connects to that through Sonos Radio when asked to play BBC Radio 2.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That’s fine I understand now I will just have to wait until it’s sorted and carry on with Alexa which works fine Thank you for the help 

BBC sounds is supported by Sonos now But…..Sonos voice assistant cannot call it upon my Beam although I can play it through the app!

Userlevel 7

BBC sounds is supported by Sonos now But…..Sonos voice assistant cannot call it upon my Beam although I can play it through the app!

Being supported on Sonos and being supported for voice control are two different things. BBC Sounds is supported on Sonos, as it was 6mths ago. BBC Sounds is not supported by Sonos Voice Control.

BBC on TuneIn and Sonos Radio is going away, soon it will only be available as part of the BBC Sounds app. 

Hi Airgetiam and thank you for your response.

just to be clear…. I can play BBC Sounds on my beam at the moment but only through the app………Sonos Voice Assistant does not seem to recognise my request when I ask it to play BBC Sounds and this is my issue.

Userlevel 7

Hi Airgetiam and thank you for your response.

just to be clear…. I can play BBC Sounds on my beam at the moment but only through the app………Sonos Voice Assistant does not seem to recognise my request when I ask it to play BBC Sounds and this is my issue.

And as already explained, BBC Sounds is not currently supported by SVC

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/music-services-that-work-with-sonos-voice-control

Hi again Bruce

Thanks for that…I didn’t realise that you were referring to SVC in your first response. 
Sonos techie is telling me that I must have a glitch because he can call up BBC Sounds as a voice command on his unit!

Userlevel 7

Hi again Bruce

Thanks for that…I didn’t realise that you were referring to SVC in your first response. 
Sonos techie is telling me that I must have a glitch because he can call up BBC Sounds as a voice command on his unit!

It wasn’t Bruce that responded to you, it was myself.

I imagine the Sonos tech resides outside the UK and was actually playing BBC radio stations through Sonos Radio, which does work through Sonos Voice Control. UK users do not have that option.

If you want to use voice control for BBC Sounds on Sonos, use Alexa.

hi again

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

looking for more help with my Sonos Beam 2……..it stops playing music after around 30 minutes….all channels including BBC Sounds. It starts again when requested. it is Ok when playing sound from my TV…….tried a soft reset and disconnected the router a couple of times but the problem persists. I have a solid green light that I never add before.

Appreciate any advice you can offer

thanks

Jim,h

What did Sonos say, when you submitted a diagnostic, and called them?

Without having access to hard data, I’d suggest some sort of either wifi interference or perhaps a duplicate IP address issue, but Sonos would have a much better idea.