Skip to main content

Hi guys,

I have no idea how to fix my problem.

I use Sonos voice control to play/pause/change my music and control the volume.

I have 3x Era 100: 1 in the living room (ground floor), 1 in the kitchen (ground floor), and 1 in the bathroom (upstairs, besides my children’s rooms).

Sometimes, I ask Sonos to play music e.g. only in the kitchen. For a weird reason, Sonos has decided that it will answer my vocal commands on the speaker that is upstairs.

For another weird reason, Sonos has also decided that it will answer me super loudly on this speaker.

This leads to very uncomfortable moments, where I am in the kitchen and ask for some music and Sonos yells from the bathroom upstairs (“SORRY, I CAN’T FIND THAT”, or “SURE!”, or “HERE IS NORAH JONES FROM SPOTIFY”), which is very displeasing as it sometimes wakes up my young children.

Thank you!

TL;DR: I use Sonos voice control mainly in the kitchen. However, Sonos sometimes "answers" me super loudly on a speaker that is far away (in the bathroom), sometimes at the risk of waking up my children. How do I fix this? 

Is it only about the music or if you ask for weather it still answers on a different speaker?

For music, I say the room name. E.g. I say to the Kitchen speaker: “hey Sonos, play in the living room”, “hey Sonos, play donald byrd in the bath room”. That has so far always played in the room I want. 

If it answers for any other content like timers, time, weather then I don’t know if there is a workaround. 

https://support.sonos.com/fi-fi/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control

If it’s the issue that the Kitchen Sonos hears your voice even though you are meaning to speak to the living room, I think there is not yet any setting for microphone sensitivity for Sonos Voice Control(?) It does sometimes happen for me that I am in the kitchen and the bed room Sonos hears my voice and answers. 

One workaround could be - although not ideal - to remove Sonos Voice Control from the living room and install Alexa voice assistant on it. So you’d use “hey Sonos” prompt in the kitchen and “Alexa” in the living room. But while that would work I think it would a bit awkward to use. You’d also have to hope that the upstairs Sonos does not hear your voice unintentionally.

If you search the community you’ll find that mic sensitivity for the issue of “unintended speaker hears” has been raised a few times. 

I’m also happy to learn if there is a way to adjust sensitivity.