Controlling Sonos Connect Amp (Second Gen) with Voice Control.

Bare with me here:

My setup for the past few years since we got our pool is this.

Sonos Second Gen Connect Amp (the white/grey one, not the new black one).

This powers two outdoor speakers.  

I had a google mini speaker outside, that I would talk to while in the pool to change songs, change artist, etc.  This has all been working until I changed to the Nest Audio.

Below is my thread I have created on the google forums just for reference.

I was thinking of purchasing a Sonos Roam since it is portable and waterproof.  I would use this to tell Sonos what to do while I am in the pool.

My question is, can I get it to function similar to the google speaker, where it does not play music, it just plays on the amp and two speakers.

For example, if I am in the pool and I tell the Roam to play an artist, it will start playing on the connect amp, and not the roam.  Basically just want the Roam for Sonos voice control.  Can it work like this?

I am considering an Alexa device just for this, but all my stuff is either sonos and google, I dont want to bring an amazon device into my mix.

My thread on google:

I am not sure if this is a bug, part of the lawsuit or what.

I have a Nest Audio.

I have Sonos Connect Amp powering two outdoor speakers.

Sonos is linked to my Google Home.

From the Nest Audio, I can tell it to change songs. That is it.

It seems it no longer adjusts the volume. It also will no longer play a different artist. For example, if I am listening to Van Halen, if I say "Ok Google, Play Pantera on Pool Radio", it says it can't do that on this device. If I say "OK Google, Next song", that works.

Trying to change volume as I said, does not work anymore either.

On my phone, if I say "OK Google, play Van Halen on Pool Radio", it will work.

Is there something with the Nest Devices that is now broke or a bug?

I removed the sonos, readded it, reauthorized YouTube Music. nothing.

I tried a second Nest Audio, same thing. It will not do "Ok Google, Play "artist" on Pool Radio".

Seems it is just related to the Nest Audio.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

I was thinking of purchasing a Sonos Roam since it is portable and waterproof.  I would use this to tell Sonos what to do while I am in the pool.

My question is, can I get it to function similar to the google speaker, where it does not play music, it just plays on the amp and two speakers.

For example, if I am in the pool and I tell the Roam to play an artist, it will start playing on the connect amp, and not the roam.  Basically just want the Roam for Sonos voice control.  Can it work like this?I

If your connect:amp is on S2, then using a Roam to act as voice control would work. You would need to either include the Connect:amp room name in your voice command, or possibly if you grouped the Roam with the Connect:amp and had the Roam muted that would also achieve what you are looking for.

For example, if I am in the pool and I tell the Roam to play an artist, it will start playing on the connect amp, and not the roam.  Basically just want the Roam for Sonos voice control.  Can it work like this?

Yes, but clarification is required.  With Roam you can set it up with Google Assistant (GA), Alexa, or Sonos Voice Control (SVC).  Alexa and SVC can be installed at the same time.  With all 3 voice assistance, you should be able to say ‘play x on pool’ and it will know you want to play music on the pool Sonos room rather than your Roam.  With Alexa, and I believe GA, you can configure it so that you don’t have to specify ‘Pool’, the default room when making voice commands to play music.  SVC does not have this configuration though, so you will need to clarify which room you want to play on, if not the Roam itself.

Also worth noting that each voice control service access different music services and features.

Note, I have a similar idea as you do, using the Roam as a voice remote for an outdoor setup.  It works well, particularly since I actually have 3 ‘rooms’ outside, and will play at different volumes, and such, so I would need to specify room a lot of the time anyway.  And the ability to group on the fly is very useful.

I am considering an Alexa device just for this, but all my stuff is either sonos and google, I dont want to bring an amazon device into my mix.

Amazon is what I used before SVC, and will still use it for general info and smart home control.  

My thread on google:

I am not sure if this is a bug, part of the lawsuit or what.

I have a Nest Audio.

I have Sonos Connect Amp powering two outdoor speakers.

Sonos is linked to my Google Home.

From the Nest Audio, I can tell it to change songs. That is it.

It seems it no longer adjusts the volume. It also will no longer play a different artist. For example, if I am listening to Van Halen, if I say "Ok Google, Play Pantera on Pool Radio", it says it can't do that on this device. If I say "OK Google, Next song", that works.

Trying to change volume as I said, does not work anymore either.

On my phone, if I say "OK Google, play Van Halen on Pool Radio", it will work.

Is there something with the Nest Devices that is now broke or a bug?

I removed the sonos, readded it, reauthorized YouTube Music. nothing.

I tried a second Nest Audio, same thing. It will not do "Ok Google, Play "artist" on Pool Radio".

Seems it is just related to the Nest Audio.

I can’t help you on this part as I haven’t really used GA in my home in quite a while.

Thanks guys.

Leaning towards the Roam as I am having issues with GA not controlling volume or changing artists.

I can’t use Alexa, as Alexa does not do YouTube Music, and that is my main music service.

So the Roam may be the one I get.

Userlevel 7

Thanks guys.

Leaning towards the Roam as I am having issues with GA not controlling volume or changing artists.

I can’t use Alexa, as Alexa does not do YouTube Music, and that is my main music service.

So the Roam may be the one I get.

Unfortunately, YouTube Music is not yet a supported music service for Sonos Voice Control.

Supported music services for SVC are the following:

• Sonos Radio
  • Apple Music
  • Pandora
  • Amazon music
  • Deezer

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But GA should YTM, right?