Are all of your speakers working for SVC grouping commands?

I’d love to know your experiences with the Sonos voice control grouping commands. It’s been wildly inconsistent for me, and support is stumped. Maybe we can find a workaround together.

Using many permutations of grouping commands (e.g. “Add <product name>”, “Group <product 1> and <product 2>”, “Remove <product name> from group”) some products work great, and others are inconsistent, regardless of which phrasing I use.

Sometimes it silently fails (but the music goes back to normal volume when it stops listening, so I know I did wake it up), sometimes it says "I can't locate that, please check your product names in the Sonos app."

For a long time I thought it was fine for one-word names but failing on with two-words, but then “Living Room” and “Dining Room” started working along with “Kitchen” and “Office.”

Consistently failing:

• Front Room
  • Master Bedroom
  • Master Bathroom

(Could these be reserved words? I might try renaming later and will update if anything changes.)

Update: Renaming “Front Room” to “Classic Front Room” or “Classic Room” didn’t help.

Then I tried picking “Lounge” from the list of name options. That worked. My current theory is that the Voice Control system can’t handle custom product names. If you pick from the list it works. Now I just need to convince my family to rename the rooms with trouble. No problem. Easy. 🤪

2 replies

Userlevel 7

I have custom room names “Lounge Arc”, “Lounge Stereo” and “Master Bedroom”, as well as the default Kitchen, Office etc

These all work successfully with SVC so custom names are possible.

If you rename a room to a custom name it may take some time before it is fully recognised by SVC, even although the app shows the updated room immediately.

Which of your rooms are SVC-enabled? Do you have more success with them, or are they any of your problem rooms?

I have room names like ‘voyager’, ‘vortex’, ‘motorroam’, aswell as general ones like ‘living room’ ‘main bedroom’ and ‘guest room’ etc; and they are working okay, so SVC is definitely recognising custom names, as it is working okay here.

I think you may perhaps need to give the names a chance to bed-in as @Mr. T suggests.