Will Google Assistant be as crippled as Alexa?

• 5 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Love my Sonos One but didn't realize how crippled Alexa is with its routines and such. Is there any info whether the Google Assistant will also be half-working or will it have full functionality? I might have to migrate to either full Alexa or Google if that's not the case. I'm getting fed up with Sonos and the "not yet supported on this device" bs.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi tommihar

This is JMO so feel free (anyone) to agree to disagree. If you are Amazon and even though you agree to share functionality with a competitor (in some aspects) are you going to allow the competitor full access? Doing so could drive your sales down in some arenas. So why not limit what is allowed and also make it so that by integrating one of your own speakers with that of the competitor full functionality can be achieved. In that way you protect your core base.

Cheers!
Sonos has not provided a list of features yet, and probably won't till it's released to the public. If there's a specific feature you're interested in though, it's possible one of the Sonos staff could give you a firm yes or no, or at least be aware of your interest in the feature.
... Doing so could drive your sales down in some arenas. So why not limit what is allowed and also make it so that by integrating one of your own speakers with that of the competitor full functionality can be achieved. In that way you protect your core base.

Cheers!

Drive down sales most likely but also help the platform to become more dominant, it's hard to imagine the smart home segment is making significant portion of their income atm anyway. I'm not aware if Google is doing the same and releasing Assistant enabled products with lesser functions.