When are we going to get Chromecast functionality?

• 20 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

At this price range it was suprising to see no Chromecast support. As an Android user who purchased both the SONO Move and Bose Portable Home Speaker and compared them to decide which one I liked the most. Seeing Chromecast support not the move would have made my choice a no brainer. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

This is debated on several threads on here.  Sonos are clearly aware that some users and potential users would like this, but so far have presumably not thought it worth devoting the necessary resource.  I am also an Android user but would  have no use for Chromecast.  

What specifically would you use it for?  

Badge +1

Overall it would be a quality of life improvement for android users as it gives us more options to easily be able to stream music to the device. I personally would use it to create a speaker group in the Google home application that includes the Sonos move. Which can not be done without the Chromecast feature.

Also, it would make the brand more inclusive and appealing (as your Sonos speakers would work with non-Sonos speakers) vs competition like Bose (who also does support Chromecast ATM)

Badge +1

Also, it would give an extra route to the EQ setting for SONOS products (google home has EQ also).  

Side note it is also far easier to get to EQ in the Bose app

Hi.  I suspect Sonos aren’t interested in making their speakers more compatible with other brands.  It has always been a brand you buy into fully.  It is designed as an integrated multiroom system and when approached as a single speaker proposition may well not be the best option for everyone.

No-one is denying the if it were cost-free, Chromecast support would be better than no Chromecast support.  All I am saying is that Sonos clearly haven’t, so far, thought it added enough value to be worth devoting resource to.

No speaker has all the best features, and I am sure Bose has some features that Sonos lacks.  The major disadvantage of buying Bose is that you end up with a Bose speaker.  And their record on multiroom systems has been pretty unimpressive.

Badge +1

This is true but from what I have been able to read in the other threads chromecast seems to be able to be done via an update though. Which seems simple enough unless it is a hardware issue. Which I don't think it is.

I don’t know why the assumption is that Sonos doesn’t want to do chromecast integration, that Google isn’t a roadblock in anyway.  I’m not saying that it is, as I have no idea.  There are a lot of details about the Google/Sonos relationship around using chromecast that we just don’t know about.

A couple things to point out is that while Sonos doesn’t have chromecast, it does have airplay capabilities.  I bring that up because airplay allows Sonos speakers to play in sync with non-sonos speakers.  So it’s not a feature Sonos is completely against.  That said, airplay works in such a way that you can use airplay and still group Sonos rooms together without issue.  It’s possible that chromecast functionality doesn’t allow for that.  I can see where that might be a deal breaker for Sonos.

Badge +1

That may tie in more with the roomer on wall street that apple plans to buy sonos. They do lean heavy towards apple users but that could just be a correlation in both customer bases being those that will spend more money toward something. Seeing as apple and Sonos are both considered premium brands.

That may tie in more with the roomer on wall street that apple plans to buy sonos. They do lean heavy towards apple users but that could just be a correlation in both customer bases being those that will spend more money toward something. Seeing as apple and Sonos are both considered premium brands.

That rumor has been off and on for years with nothing to support it other than random market talking heads throwing it out there.  Sonos was one of the first to adopt airplay 2, long before the current version of the rumor floated around.

I think your second point is closer to the truth.  Apple represents roughly half the customer base and Apple customers tend to be rather loyal to Apple products and services….more so than android users. Seriously, when airplay first came out, many folks came on here stating that they bought Sonos because of airplay.  Chromecast...not so much.

Back on the rumor though, if Apple were thinking of buying Sonos, they completely missed the window now that Sonos stock has gone up 300%.  Apple still appears to want to build their own line of speakers, despite the homepod not being all that successful.