What up with Google Assistant!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

I don't hold the person who posted here in any disregard, they only passed on information that had been given to them. I am curious about the reliable source has to say, though.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Through a software upgrade, Sonos One and Beam will support the Google Assistant in the U.S.

Now how the heck am I gonna get this working in Canada?

This is moderately frustrating. I really hope it's available there by default, if not, might have to look into spoofing location or something :@

The functionality will launch in the US initially, “with more markets to come over the next few months,” said Spence.

Source
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I don't hold the person who posted here in any disregard, they only passed on information that had been given to them. I am curious about the reliable source has to say, though.

I wanna know where they got their information other than "Google I/O"
Through a software upgrade, Sonos One and Beam will support the Google Assistant in the U.S.

Now how the heck am I gonna get this working in Canada?

This is moderately frustrating. I really hope it's available there by default, if not, might have to look into spoofing location or something :@

The functionality will launch in the US initially, “with more markets to come over the next few months,” said Spence.

Source

I know what it said, I read the article. I am not waiting several months for this. I bought it specifically last year because they said it would have google assistant by christmas. I could have bought a nice soundbar and a home hub or something instead, good lord.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I know what it said, I read the article. I am not waiting several months for this. I bought it specifically last year because they said it would have google assistant by christmas. I could have bought a nice soundbar and a home hub or something instead, good lord.

You shouldn't buy products based on future features.
Regardless it's confirmed coming. You waited this long, whats another month or so?

Silver lining: At least the American users can iron out any potential bugs that may arise, before it hits your region.

You shouldn't buy products based on future features.
Regardless it's confirmed coming. You waited this long, whats another month or so?

Silver lining: At least the American users can iron out any potential bugs that may arise, before it hits your region.

tbh I was just looking for a nice soundbar, but like I said, I was hoping for Google assistant.

Regardless of whether or not it hits my region, you can bet I'll be using it before then 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge
[quote=nyxeka][quote=Misfit]
tbh I was just looking for a nice soundbar, but like I said, I was hoping for Google assistant.

Regardless of whether or not it hits my region, you can bet I'll be using it before then ;)

You could always get the JBL Link Soundbar with Google Assistant! Oh, wait....
sigh... just when i got excited i find out its US only first. so lame.
Userlevel 1
Badge
sigh... just when i got excited i find out its US only first. so lame.

Jesus SONOS! Still messing with us? Only USA? Why?
Why not open up instead of only in US. They like to test their customer with these stupid moves.

I'm curious if you've reached out to your reliable source to ask him/her for a reaction to today's news. I'd be fascinated to hear what reaction they have.

Probably a little far fetched, but I'm guessing someone does/did have insider info. Instead of passing on the truth, stating GA integration wasn't going to happen would lower Sonos stock value (a good time to buy) right before it gets a significant raise when the actual news comes out?
Why not open up instead of only in US. They like to test their customer with these stupid moves.

My guess is that the governments require certain licensing and such before it can go live there. It could also be that Sonos has to have the proper servers, bandwidth and such in place before they can implement in a country. Clearly, there is some hurdles that have to be passed otherwise it would be released everywhere Sonos and GA already are operating.
i know people are not going to be happy with what i'm going to say, and this is third hand news, so dismiss it if you will.

but i know from a reliable source who was at Google I/O, that Google are blocking the release of assistant on sonos as it doesn't fit with their smart home strategy. details i don't know. but sonos are leaning on google hard to change their mind. it's otherwise ready for release.

the opinion from the insider was that it's just not going to happen anymore.

My, this post seems to have aged well. 😃