Two fatal flaws with Lutron integration – any solutions?

• 23 September 2018
  • 3 replies

[I posted this to Lutron community forums as well]

Hi there: I have a Lutron Homeworks QS system and a Lutron Connect Bridge (CONNECT-BDG2-1). I am using the Lutron Connect app to program controlling my Sonos system. I have run into two fatal problems…

1) When a keypad button in programmed to play a Sonos favorite, it seems to add the songs to the current queue (and in some random/shuffle order I don’t understand) instead of replacing the songs in the queue with the songs from the favorite. The same behavior happens when you “cycle” the favorites via Lutron. This is not how Sonos app behaves when I ask it to play a new playlist – it replaces the existing songs in the queue (like it should). Is this not possible with Lutron integration?

2) When I assign raise/lower volume, it only changes the volume of a specific device/zone and not all devices that are part of the group. I know Sonos integration allows for adjusting the group volume – so this has to be an issue on the Lutron side. At the very least, it should allow the user to choose whether the intention was to adjust group volume or not.

Has someone found a solution to the above problems? If not, how do you do Lutron-Sonos integration. The above problems make it impossible for me to use this.

Are there other/better solutions I should look at?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Amrud. Thanks for taking the time to post. Have you had any insight from the Lutron Community? It would certainly prove helpful as more Sonos users get into Home Automation.
Hi Keith: No -- I didn't hear anything back on that forum. It seems like the combination of the number of people who have Lutron lighting and Sonos audio and want to tie them together must be small. This integration is just not well thought through. Not clearing the queue before switching a favorite. Not really understanding the concept of a "group". Some commands work accidentally at the group level (eg: pause) while others don't (eg: raise volume). I don't know how many of these problems are Lutron side and how many are limitations on the Sonos side. It just prevents users like me to accomplish basic things across the two.

Thanks.
@Amund I use the Lutron Bridge, but unfortunately, I don't use any pico remotes or Homeworks QS system. I basically use the system one way, that's to play a particular Sonos favorite in predetermined rooms at predetermined volumes...kicked off by pressing a button in the app (or Alexa voice command) or scheduled. (Scenes & Schedules in the app)

For the most part, I just use the schedule to turn exterior lights on/off at night, and music as my morning alarm.

I haven't paid too much attention to what's happening to the Sonos queue when I initiate a command from Lutron, but I don't recall it ever playing something else in the queue before/after my favorite is complete. I don't see or recall any configuration around queue behavior in either the Lutron or Sonos apps. I don't use the queue very much really, so perhaps mine is always clear and avoids the issue you're seeing.

Sorry, not much help I know.