Sonos 10.1 break third pary apps and home automation AGAIN!

• 7 April 2019
  • 3 replies

don't install if you still want to use third party apps like python-soco or home-assistant

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
How do these things break exactly? Are they just super fragile code? In the seven years I have been producing Sonos apps, there have been two Sonos changes that truly broke my apps: one was when encryption was added to music service credentials (~3 years ago) and the other was when many diagnostic pages got removed (last year), and that only effected my oldest codebase (plus Sonos sent me an email warning me of the impending issue).

All my code works just as well on 10.1 as it did on 10.0.

I would be grateful if someone could supply some detail on how these other codebases break, and perhaps I can suggest how they could be improved in the future to be less fragile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Answering my own question: I took a look at python-soco on github and their problem was in over-rigid XML parsing. It was fixed two days ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
More info: home-assistant uses a forked version of python-soco so suffers the same bug (and has not taken a fix yet).