Answered

Siri Local Integration

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

An update does not require a promise, nor any progress. 

It doesn’t?  

Can someone at Sonos update us as to where they are at on adding Siri support to Sonos

Could’ve fooled me. 

Just bought my first HomePod mini for siri… have bought 20+ SONOS devices over the years, some of the older stuff is getting flaky.  Wondering if I’ll be replacing it with more sonos or finding something different with Siri integration.

SONOS, can you comment on if Siri integration is something you will be delivering or not?

Just bought my first HomePod mini for siri… have bought 20+ SONOS devices over the years, some of the older stuff is getting flaky.  Wondering if I’ll be replacing it with more sonos or finding something different with Siri integration.

SONOS, can you comment on if Siri integration is something you will be delivering or not?

Sonos has stated twice in this thread that they have nothing they can share at this time.  Should they make the same statement once a month, or perhaps silence should be taken to mean that nothing has changed?

Sonos rarely comments about new products and features until they can provide a hard release date.  There have been exceptions, like with Alexa and Google assistant, but that was definitely after contracts were signed.  And with Google, they got burned on it as there were delays and they were not able to release when the originally planned.  Customers were disappointed and assumed it was Sonos fault, without any evidence.  It would have been better if they had said nothing.  So I would see there is a chance Sonos will provide info well in advance, if the integration doesn’t look too complicated and they think an announcement will positively impact sales, then maybe.

I do wonder if perhaps Sonos is taking a wait and see attitude on this.  It’s not like Apple’s plan has been wildly adopted, and Sonos is losing out to competitors the longer they wait.  Sonos could win some customers sure, but it could be a waste of time if the integration program gets dropped by Apple due to lack of use, or perhaps modified where you no longer need a homepod.

Userlevel 2

I think we’re pretty much already at the frustrated and blame Sonos part with them saying nothing.  Look, I’m not going to use to Alexa or Sonos’s own future assistant, period.  Siri is the one that works with my system.  

If Sonos chooses to play by the rules Apple has set, I’m prepared to continue to make significant investments in Sonos products in the form of a Beam and an Arc.  As it stands, I can’t risk spending that much money and something that may or may not fit my needs.  All we’re asking here is to not be kept in limbo here.  If its something that will take Sonos time to implement, I’m willing to wait.  if they’ve already written the idea off and decided they will not agree to Apple’s terms, it’s time to look at other options. The status quo is causing frustration and costing Sonos potential sales. 

At WWDC’21 Apple announced opening up Siri to third party hardware, are there plans to integrate this and make it an option for voice assistant just like Alexa and Google Assistant?

I really hope Sonos is able to suck it up and integrate Siri through HomePod. It’s very likely that if you want Siri you already have a HomePod in your house. Just click and drag the code over and allow Siri to work. 
I’d rather have on device processing take care of the requests I make instead of sending it online or to an untrusted server somewhere. 
I honestly expected the best apple speaker platform to accept and integrate better. 

Hi @User673319,

We don’t have anything to announce at the moment regarding native support for Siri on Sonos, but I’ll be sure to pass your request on to our development team for consideration. It might also be worth letting Apple know that you’d like to see Siri on Sonos products, since it’s ultimately their decision as to where their service is available. :slight_smile:

Just make it happen. I already have an apple speaker so you aren’t losing a sale. I’m getting frustrated with Sonos being stubborn

It’s very often the case that Sonos do not announce their development roadmap. It would probably be far more of an issue for complaint if Sonos announced that they intended to deliver Siri on Sonos and then discovered they could not make it work on their hardware, or Apple decided they were suddenly going to delay the Siri rollout on 3rd-Party devices, like Sonos, due to impact on the Apple servers etc. (just as examples).

So I can see why no information would ‘likely’ be forthcoming from either company until the service had at least been fully implemented/tested and was ready to roll-out. 

Userlevel 1

Although I understand Sonos’ position that Apple is being “anticompetitive” by requiring a HomePod mini (a competitive product) to act as as hub as opposed to the AppleTV, by not officially promising Siri support they are putting many of their customers who are heavy into the Apple ecosystem in a difficult position.

I have 16 Sonos products in my home although they do not all have microphones. I currently use Alexa for both controlling music and for standard Alexa functionality such as shopping lists, timers, general questions, etc. I personally want to stop using Alexa altogether and switch to Siri simply because I feel more comfortable with how my personal data will be handled by Apple rather than Amazon. I also want to take advantage of Apple’s Intercom functionality which also requires a HomePod as a hub.

Long story short(er), I’ve ordered a single HomePod mini to primarily act as this hub. I will therefore be able to use Intercom and switch my Ecobees to Siri (instead of Alexa).

Now, what about Sonos. Well, since the majority of the microphones in my house are Sonos speakers, I’m stuck still using Alexa. For my small single room Play 1 speakers which don’t have microphones I will end up seriously considering selling them and buying HomePod minis instead since I don’t know whether Sonos will ever support Siri in the Sonos One speakers.

It is in this case where I think that Sonos’ principals get in the way and will actually result in more HomePod minis being bought instead of Sonos products.

Be careful, HomePods are generally considered a big flop, and Apple tends to hide their flops behind the Jobsian RDF, in other words they yank them from production and erase them from history.

https://csa-iot.org/members/

Sonos is on the CSA Matter list right now :)
so there might be the possibility to control matter compatible devices (also homekit). also with a sonos voice assistant

Userlevel 2

https://csa-iot.org/members/

Sonos is on the CSA Matter list right now :)
so there might be the possibility to control matter compatible devices (also homekit). also with a sonos voice assistant

Controlling Matter devices is not the issue.  Full Apple Ecosystem support and privacy are.  Sonos voice assistant IS the issue there.

Userlevel 2

Although I understand Sonos’ position that Apple is being “anticompetitive” by requiring a HomePod mini (a competitive product) to act as as hub as opposed to the AppleTV, by not officially promising Siri support they are putting many of their customers who are heavy into the Apple ecosystem in a difficult position.

Now, what about Sonos. Well, since the majority of the microphones in my house are Sonos speakers, I’m stuck still using Alexa. For my small single room Play 1 speakers which don’t have microphones I will end up seriously considering selling them and buying HomePod minis instead since I don’t know whether Sonos will ever support Siri in the Sonos One speakers.

It is in this case where I think that Sonos’ principals get in the way and will actually result in more HomePod minis being bought instead of Sonos products.

Yep.  Though Apple isn't exactly doing themselves any favors by not releasing a homepod or Beats branded larger speaker and soundbar.  Which is why my One/One SL and Symfonisk sets are on the storage shelf instead of on eBay.  That and most colors of the Mini have been out sold out for months 

Really disappointing that apparently nothing has moved in the direction of Siri integration in the past year. I'm curious to see what awaits us at WWDC22.

Userlevel 2

I've given up hope.  I've had an incredible experience since getting my second HomePod Mini, so my Sonos gear is being sold.

The purchases of the beam, the roam pair, and the arc are officially off the table