S1 and S2

• 20 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Unfortunately just brought the Roam not realising that it was only S2 Compatible. I have £2k + of S1 parts so not going to change from S1. As I understand it the new products have a higher spec particularly memory so surely it can not be beyond Sonos ingenuity for those who need the s1 system to load products with the older system, it may not use all the memory etc but at least it works

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @thughes004 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I appreciate your point, but as all products on a system must run the same software version as each other to interact properly, and the S1-only products simply don’t have the resources to run the software Roam needs to work, this is not possible.

I took a quick look at your system - roughly half of it is S2 capable so you could split your system, but I appreciate that many people don’t want their system to operate like that. You can certainly have both the S1 and S2 apps running side by side on one phone/tablet to facilitate this, but the Roam will never work on S1.

My overall point is that if the new Roam has too much capacity then it should be possible to have the old software loaded alongside and activitate either the old or new, or when ordering specify the old and upgrade to the new if you change your entire system. So I think the Sonos team could meet their customer needs with some more thought.

It would be no good running S1 firmware on the Roam. The other devices in the S1 system would be unable to recognise it and interact with it without their own firmware being extended. Since those devices have run out of memory capacity this isn’t possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s exactly as @ratty says, but let me put it another way - it’s not that Roam can’t run S1, it’s that S1 can’t run the Roam!