Answered

Issue with Sonos App

Badge

Issue w/ Sonos App,

I continue to have issues with the new app on my iphone. Cannot open app as it freezes and shuts off after 15 seconds. It worked for a few days and then stopped. I am trying to upgrade my Sonos system with a new ARC so I need this to start working first. Have tried everything but nothing working at all. Please advise. Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 June 2021, 21:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7

Be sure you have the latest iOS installed. Delete the app, reboot your phone, and re-install the app. Go ahead and reboot your router too.

Badge

Have tried all these but will try again. What settings do I need to make sure my router has?

Userlevel 7

What model iPhone are you using? How much free storage space do you have on your phone?

Badge

Using Iphone 10. I have 20 GB of free storage. Have restarted phone, uninstalled apps, reset router. The app worked a few days ago for a brief time and then it stopped working again. All updates have been made to phone software a few weeks ago.

Using Iphone 10. I have 20 GB of free storage. Have restarted phone, uninstalled apps, reset router. The app worked a few days ago for a brief time and then it stopped working again. All updates have been made to phone software a few weeks ago.

Presumably the iDevice is not running on beta iOS software?

Here are a couple of things to perhaps consider…

Check that the Sonos App has been given access to the local network in the iOS Privacy Settings.

Perhaps see if switching off "Private Address" (MAC address spoofing) in your iPhone Network connection properties makes any difference …and as a further test, also ensure any mobile security (antivirus/VPN) software is temporarily disabled (if applicable).

Badge

Thank you. Can you advise where / how I do this?

• For LAN Access - goto the iPhone "Settings/Privacy/Local Network” and set the toggle switch for Sonos to ‘ON’.
  • For Private Address - goto the iPhone “Settings/WiFi” and select the information icon next to your local routers WiFi connection (that should also be the WiFi signal that’s in use by your Sonos devices) and toggle off the ‘Private Address’ option and rejoin the Network when prompted. 
Badge

Thanks. Went through these steps and still not working. Anything else to try?

Try uninstalling the Sonos App on the iPhone and reinstalling it from this direct Sonos LINK. On startup of the App choose the option to connect back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system. See if that sorts it.

Badge

Thanks for your help. Sorry again but no luck

Thanks for your help. Sorry again but no luck

How many Sonos products are setup already on your local network (not including the Arc), that you mentioned were working previously? Were they running on the Sonos S1 App (black icon) or S2 App (gold icon)?

Also having uninstalled the S2 App (not the S1 App) on your iPhone X and reinstalled it, presumably you were connected to the local WiFi, what happened on opening the reinstalled S2 App?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Do you have a BT Homehub router per chance?

User is from Nashville in the US - the App was/is crashing on opening. I’m surprised the uninstall/reinstall hasn’t fixed the issue. Maybe it’s time to try/borrow another controller device just to see what happens in that situation? That said, it would be nice to establish what router (make/model) is being used in the setup.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

User is from Nashville in the US - the App was/is crashing on opening. I’m surprised the uninstall/reinstall hasn’t fixed the issue. Maybe it’s time to try/borrow another controller device just to see what happens in that situation? That said, it would be nice to establish what router (make/model) is being used in the setup.👍

That’ll teach me to scan read a thread!

Badge

All I have set up are 2 play 1’s that are about 3 years old. It worked fine a few months ago and then stopped when I went through an IOS update. Then, it briefly worked about a week ago but now not working. I have ATT internet 1 gig speed. Router brand is Pace. I tried to pull up the app at someone else’s home the other day that had a Sonos system and same result - app freezeed (never made it to the home screen) and crashed after 10-15 seconds. So, my thinking is that it has to be something with my phone - a setting that isnt right. Thanks for your help!

I have the iPhone XS running iOS 14.6 and that’s working okay here, so it sounds like it’s possibly your phone - is the Sonos S2 App the only App you have an issue with? I’d find it unusual if only one App was proving to be problematic.

Anyhow, I would perhaps try another mobile controller device first of all, if you have one, or can perhaps borrow one from a friend/relative? If that then works okay, then consider resetting your (hopefully backed-up) iPhone and restoring it from the iCloud, or a computer backup and maybe that will resolve it.

Badge

Sonos is the ONLY app not working. There must be something I can do. Have “reset all setings” and no luck. Please advise. Thank you. 

Sonos is the ONLY app not working. There must be something I can do. Have “reset all setings” and no luck. Please advise. Thank you. 

As you have uninstalled/reinstalled the App and reset all your iPhone settings and the app is presumably still crashing on opening, you are perhaps best to speak to Sonos Support Staff who may perhaps ask to see your iPhone crash logs to see what’s going on.

Please see below info re iOS crash log reports (if they are requested).

You can perhaps chat/speak with the Staff via this LINK

Obtaining iOS crash log using a Windows PC

• Open Start Menu and search for Run. 

• Open the Run app,  type %appdata% in the text field and press Enter. 

• In the AppData folder, browse  to Roaming > Apple computer > Logs > MobileDevice Note that you may find CrashReporter instead of  Logs

• Search for the appropriate mobile device name, then look for the file by app name and time stamp. 

• Attach the zip file of the crash log to an email and send to Sonos as requested.

HTH

I have to agree. The app on my iPhone is crashing and unstable. There is no issue with my internet connection and I am running on the latest iOS.

I can accept Sonos limiting audio input using its application alone but if Sonos determines to do that, just make sure the app is working well. 

Hope there will be an update soon regarding this issue.