which tv?

• 20 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Buying new tv. My old tv always worked in Dolby when sound was straight from tv but not with the PlayStation or virgin media.  I recall finding it it was a problem with that tv so want to avoid it this time .  Any advice on what tv to get ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @Cec71.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Here in Sonos, we wanted to be fair with our third-party partners and therefore do not have any specific recommendations with any brands or makers. However, we can always reach out to other members of the community to see what are their recommendations and feedback based on their experience with their own personal Sonos home theater set up. Let us reach out to other members of the community.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Normally I would suggest going to rtings.com and make sure the optical port supports DD 5.1 pass-through, but you are in the UK and they only cover US models.

Instead I would suggest you buy your new TV from a place with a solid return policy, so you can try and return it if it doesn’t work. Just make sure it has an actual optical output: although its a legal requirement in the US, it is not in many other countries and some cheap TVs lack such a basic feature.

However, to be honest, this problem is pretty rare with modern TVs. They have other, newer problems with ARC and eARC, but optical is a pretty solved problem in 2020.

I agree with controlav. But the problem is finding a suitable TV with optical output. They are not such available as HDMI or USB ports. I got a deal and purchased an LG tv with optical output since I wanted to connect it with my chord mojo. There are some resources available on the internet where the reviewers compare some tvs. Those would be a great place to start if you face trouble finding one. I got a suggestion from mediaelites. I am placing the link if you are interested.