Answered

Can the microphone on Move be disabled?

• 25 October 2022
  • 6 replies

I am considering purchasing the Sonos Move speaker but I don’t want any voice control. Can the microphone be disabled on Sonos products? Is there a light to indicate when the microphone is enabled?

icon

Best answer by John B 25 October 2022, 19:41

View original

6 replies

Yes and yes.

In any case you are not obliged to implement any of the voice assistant services. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos’ own voice system is “local” rather than cloud-based, if you’re looking for more privacy then Alexa/Google offers. 

I am considering purchasing the Sonos Move speaker but I don’t want any voice control. Can the microphone be disabled on Sonos products? Is there a light to indicate when the microphone is enabled?

Not only is there a light, it is physically wired to the microphone power.  So the microphone cannot be powered on without the light going on as well. 

However, if you’re interested in Sonos’ own privacy policy, they’ve got it listed here

Note, my link is to the US policy. I’d assume they’re relatively same across all regions, but you may want to do your own Google search for “Sonos Privacy Policy” and pull up your own.

Or, you can click on “Responsibility” at the bottom of this page, and then click on “Privacy Statement” at the bottom of that page, which should take you to your local version of the policy, if you’ve got your settings for locale properly set on the Sonos website. 

Go ahead and pull the trigger. I absolutely love my Move. It sits in my office on the dock where I can connect to my pc via bluetooth if needed or just play music while working. Sound quality is terrific with solid base and midrange for the size. The addition of bluetooth provides so many options. On outdoor movie night I take it out onto the deck and it pairs easily with my appletv when we fire up the projector. It spends most of the summer playing music on the deck. 

It seemed a little pricey for me at the time, but it’s been well worth it as I continue to find new ways to utilize this wonderful speaker.

Go ahead and pull the trigger. I absolutely love my Move. It sits in my office on the dock where I can connect to my pc via bluetooth if needed or just play music while working. Sound quality is terrific with solid base and midrange for the size. The addition of bluetooth provides so many options. On outdoor movie night I take it out onto the deck and it pairs easily with my appletv when we fire up the projector. It spends most of the summer playing music on the deck. 

It seemed a little pricey for me at the time, but it’s been well worth it as I continue to find new ways to utilize this wonderful speaker.

It’s one of my favourite Sonos speakers too.. I love its tone. Great for indoors and outside. Roll on Summertime 2023.👍