Answered

Why does Microphone light randomly come on when device is powered off?

• 15 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Question:

Why does the microphone light on my Sonos Move sometimes come on all by itself (and then go off again) when the device is powered off?  Surely if the device is switched off, it should be OFF!

The device is setup with the microphone on so that Auto Trueplay can work but no voice assistant is set up or enabled.

This seems pretty suspect to me!!  Eavesdropping?!

Attached is a photo showing the device powered off yet the microphone light on.  Shortly after taking the photo, without touching the device, the microphone light went out.

This is not the first time I have witnessed this behaviour…. 

Any suggestions / explanations?

Many thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 December 2022, 20:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

That suggests to me that it’s “asleep” and not actually powered off, so it’s periodically “waking” to check for potential updates.  However, I don’t own a Move, so I’m not sure if they use that LED for that purpose or not. 

I’m pretty sure it’s not a “listening in to your conversation” conspiracy thing, though. 

Many thanks for your reply.

I checked and it was actually just in sleep mode, rather than fully powered off.  I suspect your reply was absolutely spot on.  

Many thanks!