sonos works - onkyo TX NR656

• 3 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello 

how can I connect my Sonos move with onkyo TX NR656?

Thanks

5 replies

Does this Onkyo have the ‘Works with Sonos’ marketing designation? If so, checking the user manual for the Onkyo would be best. 

If not, the best device would be a Sonos Port, nominally connected to a tape loop input/output, which would get the audio from the Onkyo into the Sonos ecosystem, and then could be played on the Move. Note that analog inputs to a Sonos device have a slight delay for buffering, so any Sonos speaker(s) would be slightly behind any speakers connected to the Onkyo. 

Thanks for the feedback and info.

it does not have Sonos tm.

it’s a disappointment but I guess I’ll leave it as is, not playing on both together …

BTW

i did the latest update on the onkyo and still nothing on works with Sonos… I guess this model is not designed for that.

Userlevel 7

BTW

i did the latest update on the onkyo and still nothing on works with Sonos… I guess this model is not designed for that.

I found this comparison of Onkyo receivers. The TX NR656 doesn’t support Sonos.

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/onkyo-tx-nr585/onkyo-tx-nr656/

Had to find this on Amazon in order to see the input/outputs on the back. I don’t see a tape loop on this, so connecting it to a Sonos Port would be possible, using one of the inputs not labeled “phono”, and the Zone 2 output. Not ideal, but it seems like manufacturers these days assume people don’t have tape decks any longer that need that tape loop, which is the ideal way to connect.

But there’s no “simple” connection via wifi, no, as @Mr. T suggests.