Answered

Sonos Roams not playing content via Bluetooth

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey All

Just installed my new Era 300 in my lounge and it sounds fab. Odd thing though is since doing that, my Roams won’t play Bluetooth content - as in I don’t hear anything through them. They pair ok with my phone and have the blue light (have tried all 3 individually, not all at once!).

They play wifi content fine and I have re-booted them, and my phone. I even signed out of the app and back in again.

Diagnostic 1397953160 raised.

Any ideas?

And just now paired the Era 300 to the phone and BT content plays fine out of it. Still no sound if I try a Roam though - that makes no sense!

Also just tried the Move and that is also fine. Just the 3 Roams???

Moderator edit: combined posts

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 April 2023, 15:25

View original

23 replies

Try removing the pairing from your mobile phone Bluetooth list and setup the BT pairing again with the Roam and see if that resolves the issue. See this link too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/pair-sonos-roam-with-bluetooth

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Try removing the pairing from your mobile phone Bluetooth list and setup the BT pairing again with the Roam and see if that resolves the issue. See this link too: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/pair-sonos-roam-with-bluetooth

That did not work 😯

Odd that it is only the Roams that seem to not produce any BT sound………...

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Also just tried my laptop with my kitchen Roam. No sound either even though it says it's paired. Worked fine before. 

Have you perhaps got another mobile/tablet you can try? 

Give me a moment @SarahN and I will try a Roam with an iPhone XR running iOS 16.4.1 and will see if it works here and come back to you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Just tried the laptop. Same issue as the phone. It's only since I installed my new Era 300 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I was bluetoothing phone audio fine this morning until the 300 installation 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SarahN 

Thanks for your post!

I tried my own Roam and also got silence over Bluetooth. I then rebooted my Roam by holding the power button for 12 seconds, and it worked without issue afterwards.

I don’t have Era speakers, so I think the timing was coincidental for you.

I hope this helps.

It’s working okay for me with the latest Sonos App … I get bluetooth audio-out from the Roams here

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi Both

I did try re-booting them but will try that again. Air-playing my podcasts right now, via my iPad as an alternative lol

In fact I have my Sonos Roams in a different Sonos HH to my Era 300 speaker, but I’m just switching the Era to the same HH as the Roams and checking for any updates etc. and will report back if I see any issues once the ERA 300 is part of the same setup.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

In fact I have my Sonos Roams in a different Sonos HH to my Era 300 speaker, but I’m just switching the Era to the same HH as the Roams and checking for any updates etc. and will report back if I see any issues once the ERA 300 is part of the same setup.

I got my upstairs white Roam to work after re-booting it. The stereo pair in the kitchen are proving more suborn. I unpaired from the phone again and am just trying to re-pair one of them again

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

So got one of the stereo paired Roams to play BT sound again but the left stereo pair is silent!. Will keep trying to sort!

Hold on, it’s back on both now. Think it’s sorted but oh my! That took a bit of fiddling with things lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @SarahN 

I did not need to do any re-pairing, just so you know.

If you continue to be unable to play to your Roams after reboots, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team to report it (but please don’t expect an immediate resolution). Thanks.

@SarahN,

Okay, I added the Era 300 to the same HH and the Roam Bluetooth connection is still working/playing okay here.

Era 300 is on 15.2.2 (build 72240050)

Roam is on 15.2 (build 72239150)

That’s having done all updates, so perhaps check your setup is up-to-date.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks both - after unpairing, re-pairing and re-booting it all seems fine now lol

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @SarahN 

I did not need to do any re-pairing, just so you know.

If you continue to be unable to play to your Roams after reboots, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team to report it (but please don’t expect an immediate resolution). Thanks.

All sorted now thanks @Corry P .

One strange thing to note though, after I had installed the 300 earlier today, I came into my kitchen where my stereo paired Roams are (which were not connected to BT), and they were both showing the green mute light even though I had not muted them prior to setting up the 300. Odd…..

Just glad everything is working ok now 

I’ll just add I was using the Apple Music ‘native’ App as my BT audio source, having previously paired the mobile device to the Roam - I didn’t remove/re-pair the Bluetooth connection, nor did I need to reboot the Roam, but I will delete, reboot and setup the pairing again, just see what happens in that case aswell.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Glad to hear you got them fixed, @SarahN!

One strange thing to note though, after I had installed the 300 earlier today, I came into my kitchen where my stereo paired Roams are (which were not connected to BT), and they were both showing the green mute light even though I had not muted them prior to setting up the 300. Odd…..

Yes, that is strange. I’ll pass this along.

@SarahN 
Ah my last post crossed - I see now you’ve sorted it. Glad it’s now working for you. 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Ken_Griffiths - How are you liking your Era 300? I just have the one set up in my lounge for Atmos music. Sounds great! I also have my HT set up and my Stereo Fives connected to the CD player and Turntable. A lot I know haha. 

I don’t have room for stereo 300’s but the one sounds lovely anyway. I also don’t have the space or type of room to have them as surrounds so the One SLs will keep that duty 😊

I think it’s a great speaker @SarahN and a stereo pair of them for music is just fantastic. It’s certainly quickly become my favourite Sonos speaker for music and whilst its bass is already very good, I actually like a pair setup with a Sub-Mini - that setup suits how I like to hear things and it is very immersive.

My Wife (Jane) isn’t too keen on their shape/look/appearance and keeps trying to hide them with flowers and things when my back is turned, but the setup here sounds great and I think Jane will grow to like them, which is perhaps a ‘marmite’ thing, but even she admits they sound true-to-life and has even ‘jumped’ thinking someone talking on a recording was actually present and with her in the room - that’s how good they are.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Ken_Griffiths  - do you still have your Fives? The Era 300 does sound different doesn’t it. I only have 1 compared to my pair of Fives of course. 

Oh I love how your wife is trying to hide the Eras haha. I really like the shape!

The Fives are currently set as surrounds to a Beam Gen-2 in the Dining Room - it’s a bit overkill for the room, so I plan to move those back to our Living Room, which we’ve been decorating the past few weeks. I’m not sure if I will be using them for music (set vertical) with a Sub, or I might use them as surrounds with the Arc, which is where they were originally.

I want to then try the Era-300’s as surrounds to the Beam in the Dining Room, but we have a lot of stuff about at the moment as apparently I’m supposed to be painting the kitchen ceiling and walls next (by Order) ha ha 😀