Answered

Sonos Roam won't connect to wifi during set up

• 12 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Making a new thread because none of the existing threads on this topic fix my issue.

Got a new Sonos Roam yesterday. Tried to set it up, absolute nightmare (incidentally, all my Sonos set up experiences have been a bit disappointing, which is a shame because once set up, the products are great). Anyway. I can get to the stage where Roam tries to join my wifi network. After a while, it says:

The connection to your Sonos Roam was lost. Move your mobile device closer and make sure Sonos Roam is powered on. 

My phone is right next to the Sonos Roam. There are no issues with the wifi dropping out. When I click continue, it prompts me to receive an audio PIN again (fine) and then when it starts flashing white and green tells me:

Make sure the light on your Sonos Roam is flashing white and green, then press the button on it to continue.

Light is fine, I press the button, but nothing happens. Eventually, then says:

We didn’t detect a button press from your Sonos Roam. Let’s try again. 

Doesn’t matter how many times I try again. It never works. 

I have tried:

• Doing a hard reset on the unit multiple times; doesn’t work.
  • Checking router compatibility (it’s fine, it’s 802.11ac)
  • Turning off private network toggle on my phone wifi settings. 
  • Pairing via bluetooth (won’t even enter bluetooth mode properly—it makes the chime but the light stays white). 

Any suggestions? Or is my unit just faulty?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 June 2023, 18:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It’s possible, although somewhat unlikely, that the device is faulty. Right next to may be just a tad too close, try with your phone about 2 feet away. 

And I’d call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

why is bluetootch nor used to setup wifi password and ssid in the roam, can it be done in sonos cloud account in webloging if all devices is registrated, this is just chickken and egg problem if wifi is working :=)

but i like to use sonos roam in steroe mode from a huawei google free phone that provide the wifi hotspot, this is not easy to setup, but when it is it should just simple work imho

one more wish, is it possible to use bluetootch internet when the phone support it ?, this coud make my and possible others life more enjoyble

hopefully this is what the roam was ment to be

Did you find an answer?  I’m in the same spot.

Badge +1

Exactly the same problem here. Had my Roam for some time now - listening to music on it yesterday, today SONOS has lost it, and no matter how many times I try, I get the same issue as you ‘we didn’t detect a button press’… It’s great when it works, but it can be a nightmare at times!

So, what did support say, when you contacted them, as suggested above?

I am having the same issue, did you contact support

This appears to be related to using a dual band router. If the phone is on 2.4GHz and the Roam on 5GHz it doesn’t work.  Disable one of the bands, wait for the devices to discover WiFi again and repeat the setup. It works.