Question

Sonos Port won't move to new WiFi network

• 13 February 2021
  • 1 reply

I migrated all my Sonos systems (7 not counting surrounds/sub) to a new WiFi network.  The “connect 1 to a wired network” method only moved about half of my systems to the new network.  The rest I had to do a factory reset and then during set up they joined to the new network.

The only exception is the Port.  After I reset it and go through the setup process, in which I join it to my new WiFi network, it will join to the new network temporarily, but after a few minutes it rejoins the old network. 

I tried resetting the Port and leaving it powered off for a few days then setting it up, but it still rejoins the old network after a few minutes.

I’m not at a point in my device migration where I can alter the old network in any way (i.e. can’t change SSID or password).

Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @geekjitsu

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for providing us a detailed post describing your concern. We appreciate all your effort in resolving the issue. 

Let me help you by suggesting the following steps below so your Sonos can save your new Wifi information. Note that this process will require you to temporarily connect a Sonos speaker to your router with an Ethernet cable.

1. If your Sonos App already shows your home page:
    • Wire your Sonos Port to your router via ethernet cable.
    • Tap Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup 
    • You will see your WiFi network name on the list. Select it and enter your WiFi password.
  2. If you are not seeing your homepage, follow these steps
    • Open the Sonos app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
    • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working.
    • Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.
    • Follow the instructions to connect Sonos to the WiFi network.

If you're still having the same issue after performing the steps, I recommend contacting our support team with your full network set up including the make and model of each device to look up the information and perform in-depth troubleshooting to help you complete your Sonos setup.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.