Answered

Sonos Move Nework Issues Prevail in 2024

• 19 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I’m so frustrated to even be writing this, I’ve probably spent 40+ hours troubleshooting my Sonos Move speaker which I got several years ago. Of course, the problems are presented when trying to get the speaker to connect to other Sonos speakers-- the entire point of owning multiple Sonos items :) 

It’s not my network, the app is updated, the speaker is updated, and I’ve factory reset it maybe 10 times now, since that’s the default fix that every Sonos Customer Service representative suggests. If only resetting the speaker would magically fix its fatal connectivity flaw! 

After giving up on Wifi connectivity, I plugged one of my Sonos One speakers into an ethernet cord to my modem to create their own special Sonos network. The Sonos One and Sonos SL stay constantly connected now, but the Move speaker drops from the app multiple times a day and becomes unusable. Then I’ll come home later and it’s magically back under available speakers in my app. Funny, right? It’s really unfortunate to pay $400 for a speaker to go with your other $200-300 speakers and have it not work, and drive yourself mad trying to fix it over a 2 year period.

Sonos: This issue is NOT fixed with any of your software updates. It’s a daily occurrence with the Sonos Move, regardless of internet providers-- at one point, I switched internet from AT&T to Spectrum and even got a brand new router thinking that was the problem, thanks to a customer service rep’s suggestion. It’s not the problem, but thanks for making me waste even more time troubleshooting. SONOS is the problem

I’m beyond frustrated. Instead of admitting there’s an obvious flaw with these speakers, they have hundreds of customer service reps leading paying customers through loops of resetting, hard reboot, reset your modem! All to have it come up for an hour and then drop out of the system again. Why, god, can’t Sonos fix their product??!! Truly unbelievable. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 19 March 2024, 08:54

View original

5 replies

Sure sounds like a duplicate IP address issue to me, but you state it isn’t your network. 

Spectrum routers can be an issue. Go to the SONOS Support Site and search for “Spectrum”.

I have no experience with Spectrum. From reading through a number of dialogs, it seems to me that a 3rd party router should be connected to the Spectrum and the Spectrum should otherwise be ignored. Use a different SSID (WiFi) name and don’t wire anything anything to the Spectrum except the 3rd party router.

Me too.  Just recently bought my second Move to experience stereo Sonos Move fidelity.  I went, admittedly, maybe a bit longer than a month enjoying my dual Moves in wonderful hi-fi, stereo (internet-only - NOT BLUETOOTH) bliss - then there I was, an hour or two each day after a hard days work getting so, so annoyed being unable to get my Move(s) to work.  I’m reduces to a single speaker that only works in Bluetooth mode.  
Does Sonos have a customer service - customer loyalty death wish too?

..word travels fast Sonos

signed,

On The Fence.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Blame the router, why? I have AT&T's default router and have the same problem.  My Roam will connect to wifi and be seen on the app.  Right next to it is a Move that comes and goes depending on sunspot activities, apparently.  Here today gone tomorrow.  More or less just skip using wifi when it disappears and use BT.  Sonos must know about these bugs, but convince me otherwise, tell me why I am the problem.

I never had any success using an AT&T router, but never could figure out why it continually would drop out. I ended up using their equipment (sourced, I expect, by bean counters for costs, not performance) only as a modem, and connected a Netgear router to it. This gave me a bunch more control over things, and cured all the issues I was experiencing in one fell swoop. 

I’m currently having similar issues with a T-Mobile device, as soon as I find the box that my router is in (or buy an upgraded model), the T-Mobile device will be relegated to modem status as well, and I’ll be able to have reserved IP addresses again.