Answered

sonos move doesn’t charge

• 11 December 2022
  • 7 replies

I have since a month a sonos move. Its my 2nd one. The first one works ok. Thos new one doesn’t charge at all. No lights are burning nothing. It worked for a month a now it stopped. Reset doesnt work, reconnect doesnt. Nothing works. Unfortunately my 1st sonos move is 650 km away from where I am, so I cant verify what the faulty element is, the charging base or the Sonos. 
What to do now?

icon

Best answer by JacCathem 16 December 2022, 19:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Obviously, we cannot rule out hardware failure.

I had a recent experience where a MOVE didn’t seem to be charging. Ultimately, I discovered that the charger power supply was in a funk. Briefly removing it from power resolved the issue.

Yep, I’ve had an intermittent faulty charger-loop.

Just very occasionally, I had to switch off the charger for a couple of minutes to get it to kick back into life - in the end I purchased another charger-loop and I just keep the ‘intermittent-working’ one as a spare. My Move was well out of warranty however, before the issue came to light.

Anyhow, all is well now (touch wood) and not had an issue with it since.

Thanks for the reply,

I tried it but no improvement. Sonos still dead.

I measured the voltage over the contact points of the chraging ring and got ) Volt, so unless there is an intelligent charging active, I assume that the either the ring or the charger is done.

I ordered a USB C 5-20 V PD charger 40 W over the internet. Estimeated delivery Dec 15.

Then I will know for sure what the problem is.

Thanks anyway, and let you know

Jac 

Thanks for the reply,

I tried it but no improvement. Sonos still dead.

I measured the voltage over the contact points of the chraging ring and got ) Volt, so unless there is an intelligent charging active, I assume that the either the ring or the charger is done.

I ordered a USB C 5-20 V PD charger 40 W over the internet. Estimeated delivery Dec 15.

Then I will know for sure what the problem is.

Thanks anyway, and let you know

Jac 

For charging the Move, note it requires the below…

The power adapter must be USB PD (Power Delivery). For 45W operation the PD source must put out either 20V/2.25A (or higher current) or 15V/3A (or higher current).

For the slower 36W operation the PD source must put out 12V/3A or 15V/2.4A and charging speed is reduced if listening to audio at the same time. Anything less than 36W will not power or charge Move.

I personally use this charger as a backup and when travelling with the Move:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CVFMGL1

Thanks Ken,

I ordered a similar one with similar spec. Expected on thursday.

I’ll let you know what the result is.

Cheers

Jac

Dear All,

thanks for your reactions, i’ll give you my feedback. 
The USB-C power supply with a spec similar to what Ken suggested came in yesterday. I plugged it in and ONE minute later there was light in the system. 
The move charges as it is supposed to, and plays as well. 
The power supply is faulty i have the assume. There is still the possibility that inside the Sonos the connection from the contact points to the electronics is faulty, but the only way to find that out is to change the most obvious and that is the power supply.
I’ll return the base and power supply after the festive period.

thanks and all the best wishes 

Jac

Thanks Jac for stepping back here and letting us know the outcome and glad to hear that your portable speaker is back up and running. Hope you get the charger-loop sorted and Happy Holiday Season and New Year too. 👍