Answered

Sonos Move connects to wrong WiFi

• 15 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi. After searching the forum this feels like a borderline case:

I’m having problems keeping my Sonos Move on my “devices” VLAN. I first set it up through my “normal” VLAN with the rest of my Sonos players. Then, I moved them all to “devices”, and have configured then and my Unifi USG router, switches and APs so that I can control the Sonos players from my “normal” VLAN.

Moving the Sonos Move to the devices network ain’t at all easy, though: I ended up doing a factory reset and set it up with the iPhone connected to the “devices” network, and everything looked good.

Except that the Move goes into battery saving mode, and when it wakes up it connects to the “normal” network - even though I haven’t configured it to connect to it after the factory reset!  How is this possible?

Does the setup procedure copy ALL Wifi networks from the phone to the Move and somehow convinces Move to connect to another network than the one I set it up with?

This makes no sense to me at all.  What’s going on?

Cheers,

Asbjørn

icon

Best answer by asbjorn 20 January 2021, 10:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +2

Brief follow-up: For some strange reason, the Move is now back on the devices network without any attempt at making that happen from my side. The only thing I’ve done is to open the Sonos iPhone app, and browse through settings in an attempt to find some info about “stored Wifi” connections in the Sonos Move. But I found nothing, and exited the app without doing anything more. 

Perhaps opening the app forces the Move back into the network it was originally assigned to…? Will be exciting to see if it stays on that network throughout today.

Badge +2

This is funny. I just woke the Move up from battery sleep, and tried “Play”. Result: Red blinking LED. Checked the network and found it was connected to the “normal” VLAN.  But then, as by magic, it changed to the “devices” VLAN. And the play button worked.

What is Sonos Move doing when it wakes up?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @asbjorn.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Like other speakers of Sonos, it will try to connect to the current wifi connection it was setup.

Just want to verify if the light is still flashing red continuously?

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number just to check the move?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge +2

Hi, sorry for being late.

I ended up resetting all my Sonos speakers, and had them set up with the phone connected to the correct VLAN (via Wifi) all the time (why do i have to use a phone to set up a system that can be used without a phone, btw?  Why do I need a phone to play music on some speakers that plays the music themselves?)

Anyway, I got it all up and running, and haven’t experienced any strange reconnections to the wrong VLAN/WIFI since.  It might have been an issue with the DHCP server and client, but I don’t know. To the extent that Sonos could mitigate this, it could be that the players should release their IP lease when being factory reset - not that I have any idea whether this happens or not. But that would have solved the issue I had, given that Move would then only connect to the Wifi/LAN it was connected to during setup (because the IP lease would then be cancelled and my DHCP server would issue a new lease to Move on the new network).

I do have a completely different problem, but that belongs to another post - if I don’t find the answer…

Regards,

Asbjørn