Sonos Move 2 Coming in September

Userlevel 7

From The Verge:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/2/23817225/sonos-move-2-speaker-features-specs-price

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

If this is true (The Verge has had mixed historical accuracy), it’s all good news. Lots of better things, and for me, the different name is a bonus, although I’ll bet some folks will just call them ‘Move’

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

atmos?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Oh heck - that green colour looks nice! Now c'mon Sonos, don't make me buy yet more speakers 😆

If this is true (The Verge has had mixed historical accuracy), it’s all good news. Lots of better things, and for me, the different name is a bonus, although I’ll bet some folks will just call them ‘Move’

I’m guessing it was done to make it clear(er) that you won’t be able to pair a Move Gen 1 with a Move Gen 2.  You could bond a Sonos One Gen 1 with a Sonos One Gen 2, and it was not an issue with the Beam gens, obviously.

I’m pleasantly surprised with improvements made.  I expected the improved bluetooth and Wifi radio, ‘hard button’ controls,  to match current products.  Improved battery and the docking station are pretty common improvements.  I  was hoping for the USB audio input (though not sure if it can be used for wired network) and happy they went that way.  The new color and the ability to discharge power to devices is really nice.

But what I am most surprised is the dual tweeters. That suggests a much bigger development effort than what we usually see for Gen 2 products.

I was not planning on getting the Move 2, as I honestly don’t even use the Move Gen 1 very much.  This may warrant some reconsideration..

Oh heck - that green colour looks nice! Now c'mon Sonos, don't make me buy yet more speakers 😆

Your Lounge needs a 4th Sonos zone/room.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Your Lounge needs a 4th Sonos zone/room.

Now come on Danny, that's a naughty suggestion 😁

I already have an original Move in my bedroom! That green colour though ........

atmos?

Very very unlikely. I just can’t imagine that Move 2 would have atmos, but Era 100 would not. If so, it will be simulated, like the Beam Gen 2. And won’t be available through the aux input or bluetooth.

Doubtful that it could be used as a surround speaker for Atmos use. It’s still a ‘moveable’ device, with a battery, so unlikely to be allowed in an Atmos situation. 

Doubtful that it could be used as a surround speaker for Atmos use. It’s still a ‘moveable’ device, with a battery, so unlikely to be allowed in an Atmos situation. 

Agreed.  it feels like Move has all the features of the Era 100, but there are still two pretty big issues I think.  While the Move can autoplay tune itself, the Arc (or Beam, Ray, Amp) cannot, and the Arc is responsible for tuning in a home theatre setup, essentially.  You could easily get the speakers flip flopped, or facing a slightly different angle and throw everything off.

The other, perhaps more important feature, is you still would not be able to have the Move easily transition between a speaker bonded to an Arc and it’s own separate Sonos room.  It would have to be some sort of compromise where you can’t use any of the features of the Move except moving it around on battery, and locked into place when it plays.

Yea, that challenge of ‘there is/is not a surround speaker connected’ and what to do when there isn’t makes me think, although it’s not explicitly stated in that article, that the Move 2 will remain not a surround capable speaker. Which I completely understand, from a programming perspective, I would think it rather challenging.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

From Sonos blog:

"Spatial audio is the next generation of listening,” says Sarah Ryan, Senior Manager of Product Marketing at Sonos (...)

Just as stereo sound was once a groundbreaking experience compared to mono, spatial audio is creating new relationships between artists and listeners.

Spatial audio gives your favorite music more clarity, depth, and detail than ever before. It can feel like you’re in the room with the artist, experiencing the music exactly as it sounded in the studio, or even listening from within the song itself.

Like the Era 300 it would be great to have move be able to at least play Atmos music on its own, even if virtualized as in Beam gen 2. This is how music will be consumed more and more. Especially important since Atmos content is being un-Atmossed when Sonos Atmos speakers are being grouped with non-Atmos speakers. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I wonder if the new Move 2 will be compatible with the existing charging base? For those who maybe have a spare to take on holidays etc.