Answered

solar panel charging ?

• 16 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Has anyone found a solar panel that will successfully charge a Roam? 

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 18 March 2024, 12:05

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Steve Michaelson

While I can’t recommend specific devices, for charging the Roam you’ll want something that can deliver 2 Amps at 5 Volts (10 Watts). While you can use a device that delivers 1.5 Amps at 5 Volts(7.5 Watts), this will effect the overall charging time of the Roam and isn’t recommended.

Is there a reason you’re looking specifically for a solar panel charger? A battery bank may be more effective if you’re looking to have the Roam outside or away from power outlets for long period of time. I’d advise against the solar panel if you’re looking to keep the Roam outside as, while it is IP67 dust and water rated, it isn’t weather proof nor rated for permanent outdoor use.

While I can’t offer anything, my reply will put your thread to recently active, where other community users can reply and also provide their own recommendations and suggestions.

I hope this helps!

Would this “weatherproof” power  bank with a built in solar charger  on Amazon work?

Power-Bank-Portable-Charger-Solar - 36800mAh Waterproof Portable External Backup Battery Charger Built-in Dual QC 3.0 5V3.1A Fast USB and Flashlight for All Phone and Electronic Devices (Deep Black) 
 https://a.co/d/6P8nXAU

Thanks!

Or this even larger one:

Limited-time deal: Power-Bank-Solar-Charger - 42800mAh Portable Charger,Solar Power Bank,External Battery Pack 5V3.1A Qc 3.0 Fast Charger Built-in Super Bright Flashlight (Black) 
 https://a.co/d/5xTWV7N

i live in southern FLA with  lots of sunshine!  For use at the far end of my yard/pool where there isn’t an electrical outlet. 

Thanks again,

Steve

Neither one would work. The descriptions says they deliver 1Amp, and @Jamie A clearly puts the requirements forth at 2 Amps. 

No, you read it wrong:  it’s 3.1 amp 

Voltage  ‎5 Volts 
Battery Cell Composition  ‎Lithium Polymer 
Power Source  ‎Battery Powered,Corded Electric 
Item Weight  ‎1.34 Pounds 
Amperage  ‎3.1 Amps

I did indeed read the name incorrectly. Both appear to state 3.1 amps. 

It works!  On a full charge for both I ran the Roam for 50 straight hours. I am not sure how much the integrated solar panel adds, but when I left it out fully discharged not connected to the Roam it shows one of the four charge indicators lighting up each day the panel is exposed. So approx 4 days to fully recharge itself if the capacity lights are linear/accurate.

This may be enough to be self sustaining at my usage (2-3 hours every two days).