ROAM will not power on.

• 25 March 2023
  • 1 reply

I am currently working in Pakistan - using my two ROAM speakers to provide my entertainment. They had been working for the first year and a half without issue. Then, last year I noticed that one ROAM would not charge above 94%. A rather long series of chat session with Sonos tech team can to the concluding that the battery was not apparently taking the charge. But, the second ROAM was having no issue. As of today, the first ROAM will not power on at all and the second ROAM is limiting its charge to 93%. I fear that I am about to retreat to silence… 

I have been using the magnetic wireless charger bases that are sold by Sonos. Thinking this may have been the issue, I changed to using the USB-C cord direct from a charging brick that is plugged in a wall socket.

I was wondering if others have encountered this issue? I read through number of threads that seemed similar and have not seen any solution. I cannot even “reset” the device by holding the power button for the 12-seconds recommended by some users. I wonder if a factor reset might help but no button combination seems to result in any response. And the “power” button on the back of the unit seems very ‘stiff’ so I am wondering if it engaging at all. 

One interesting thing is that the little light on the bottom of the speaker seems to glow orange (or red) for about 10 seconds when I unplug or plug the device in/out of power.

Sonos has offered a replacement however, because of my location it is not something that is feasible - they would easily send to Canada but not Pakistan.

Any helpful advice gratefully accepted…

1 reply

*UPDATE*

I think I have found a solution… 

I tried every possible combination of buttons from power-play-(+) to power-mic-(-)

I finally tried power-play and held it for more than 25-seconds… and it seems to have forced a reset. The top light started flashing white & green!!! This was followed by the device appearing on my Sonos App at “new device found”.

Once I finally got the device back on my system… it showed that power charge at 12% - even though I have had it connected to a charger for the last two days… I will let it charge for a few hours before I try to use it and see if the charge increases from 12%

I have nervously noted that the other ROAM (although sitting on the Qi charger) has decreased in charge from its previously standing 94% to 90%. It is notable that the second ROAM is very mildly warm on the outside (n.b. it is not near any heat source). 

Additionally, as I type this note … the power on the first ROAM has risen to 20%… so it seems to be taking its charge.