Skip to main content
Question

Roam update failure

• 23 June 2024
  • 6 replies

Got a new Roam that manages to connect to WiFi during setup but then told the speaker needs to update. It won't update for some reason and then the app (android) is just stuck on that screen. Tried factory resetting speaker and re installing app etc but still isn't working. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any help.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Try updating it using the Sonos desktop app for Windows or Mac (download from the Sonos site). This could help you as the app architecture seems to be different to the ‘new’ Android and iOS apps.

Thanks, tried that and can now see the Roam in the system but can't register it. It's now showing error codes 1064 and 1106.

Now working, thanks for your help.

Hey @matt23 , thank you for posting this. Ran into this exact problem. Downloading Windows desktop app successfully bypassed the problem. I believe the Android seems to run into an issue since it never prompted me to log in to my account, but the Windows app asked me to do that right away.

How on earth are people getting the desktop app to update anything? I have downloaded, deleted and redownloaded the desktop app on my pc multiple times and never am I asked to update anything (I am using the latest app for windows). I have tried resetting my roam, adding it via my phone, getting to the “not registered” point, hitting fix it, then leaving it open on the screen when I see “error 1,008” and then I try to start up the desktop app but nothing happens. If I click on join an existing system, it just asks me to configure firewall and then opens the app but no mention of any updates and no sign of my roam within the devices. Only lists my other speakers that have already been added. And if instead of join an existing system, I click on start a new system, it just takes me back to the webpage where I downloaded the app. This is just nuts

How on earth are people getting the desktop app to update anything? I have downloaded, deleted and redownloaded the desktop app on my pc multiple times and never am I asked to update anything (I am using the latest app for windows). I have tried resetting my roam, adding it via my phone, getting to the “not registered” point, hitting fix it, then leaving it open on the screen when I see “error 1,008” and then I try to start up the desktop app but nothing happens. If I click on join an existing system, it just asks me to configure firewall and then opens the app but no mention of any updates and no sign of my roam within the devices. Only lists my other speakers that have already been added. And if instead of join an existing system, I click on start a new system, it just takes me back to the webpage where I downloaded the app. This is just nuts

SOLVED: By way of update for anyone else in my position, I’m including what worked for me. And I would just echo the astounding INCOMPETENCE of the customer service agents at Sonos, none of whom came up with this solution themselves, and in fact even gave me incorrect information about my router being incompatible (it’s not even on the sonos list of incompatible but workable devices, let alone the fully incompatible list) just so they could get off the phone. I’m sorry, but the level of idiocy and lack of training is out of control

My set up is as follows: have a spectrum router (SAX2V1S), a sonos boost, two fives and subwoofer and now a roam. I had used the boost to successfully add the fives and the sub, but when adding the roam I kept getting 1,002 and 1,008 as errors, both of which deal with not being able to update the roam. I would add the roam but then get stuck after trying the “fix it” button when it said the roam was “not registered”. I tried downloading the desktop app but my roam wouldn’t appear and there were no prompts to update anything (despite this being a solution widely reported by others)

Since the roam apparently doesn’t work with the boost, I did the following: disconnected the boost and restarted my router and set it to 2.4ghz (the spectrum app has a setting where it just transmits in 2.4ghz for 30 minutes if you click a button in the spectrum app). I then factory reset my roam and at that point I deleted my sonos app and reinstalled it and then when the time came I clicked on set up a new system. It recognized the roam and had me do the same thing as before where I needed to further update the roam after the initial steps of adding the roam, except this time it actually started and finished the update without an error message

I then basically reversed everything. I reconnected the boost to my router, I restarted the router and then unplugged and replugged my boost. After everything was done rebooting, I logged into sonos app and it recognized my initial setup of the two fives and the subwoofer (if yours doesn’t do that, you may need to delete and reinstall the sonos app so that it forgets the new system that you set up with just your roam and recognizes the old system again). Finally, I factory reset the roam again and added it to my system with the two fives and the subwoofer, but this time it asked me to do some other steps such as playing a chime from the roam and then pressing the play and plus buttons at the same time, and VOILA, the roam was added successfully and plays music along with the rest of my system

I must end by again mentioning the COMPLETE LACK OF UTILITY from the ENTIRE Sonos customer service team (or at least the 8 different people, including supervisors, that I spoke to across three days, four phone calls, three web chats and 9 hours)