Roam Setup Work Around

• 29 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Until my replacement for my incompatible Connect arrives from Backorder, I did not want to disrupt my complicated but working Sonos home system in order to install the required Sonos S2 app for my new Roam. Instead, I created a new account with a different email address and on a different Wifi network. I was surprised that the Roam could be the only Room on the account. I had originally thought that I needed to have one additional Sonos S2 compatible speaker. To set up the account,  Roam had to be powered on. This arrangement gives me a working Roam, with all of the music services available on my house system. When my Connect replacement arrives, I will probably set up the house system on the Sonos S2 app, allowing for the Roam to be one of the rooms in the house system. In the meantime, I have avoided the nightmare scenarios that have been discussed by the Community. Oh, did I mention that I avoided disrupting my wife's listening experience of her favorite music service, Hearts of Space?  BTW, I love the Roam.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

FYI, you didn’t need to create a separate account or use a different WiFi.  You can have an S1 and S2 system setup with the same account and WiFi.  

@NPRFAN,

Just to briefly add that there isn’t really anything to stop you from using the same WiFi connection for the S2 HH and your S1 HH. You can also setup the S2 system on the exact same account/email address as used by S1  - the system separation is ‘defined’ by the fact you setup the Roam using the option to “Create a New Sonos system” within the Sonos App, which creates an entirely separate HouseholdID in the user account. Also the two S1/S2 apps on your mobile should ensure the two remain apart.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

These are very helpful suggestions and will greatly simplify my experience. Thank you Danny and Ken.

Rich 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have uninstalled the S2 app and reset the Roam. I am not seeing Create new system on  newly installed S2 app. Instead I am seeing Open S1 Controller or More Options. 

Any tips?

I have uninstalled the S2 app and reset the Roam. I am not seeing Create new system on  newly installed S2 app. Instead I am seeing Open S1 Controller or More Options. 

Any tips?

Did you reset the S2 App to begin the setup? (See “Settings/App Preferences”)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for the tip. S2, with Roam, now works on my primary email account as well as Wifi. So far S1 still works well.   It sure is easier having S1 and S2 on the same account and same network. 

Two thoughts. Do you think that this path is adequately described anywhere but the Community thread?

When I eventually have all of the S2 compatible equipment, what is the best way to go to S2?

Thank you again for your help. 

Thanks for the tip. S2, with Roam, now works on my primary email account as well as Wifi. So far S1 still works well.   It sure is easier having S1 and S2 on the same account and same network. 

Two thoughts. Do you think that this path is adequately described anywhere but the Community thread?

Yes, 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

Admittedly, I didn’t read everything to see that every relevant detail is there, but it looks like it covers everything from a glance.

When I eventually have all of the S2 compatible equipment, what is the best way to go to S2?

Thank you again for your help. 

I don’t see a support doc on this off hand, but I believe the S2 App will tell you what devices you have on S1 that can be upgraded to S2 and you can then walk your way through it in the app..  It’s been a year since I removed S1, so I might be misremembering things.

However, you can always do a factory reset on the speakers you want to move from S1 to S2, and install them as new speakers on S2….sort of a brute force method.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Appreciate your time and sharing. I have owned Sonos equipment since 2015.  In that time have been able to resolve issues by trial and error.  Having access to the Community really helps.